CFHS code : AS117

Inscription: DENNIS ADAMS MRCS JP d 9 July 1899 aged 86 / also HARRIOTT the beloved wife of DENNIS ADAMS and affectionate daughter of WILLIAM and CAROLINE GOODE d 30 Jan 1853 aged 42

Monument : Square plinth with kneeling figure on top

Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey

Lat Lon : 52.203485, 0.13667919 – click here for location

The monument has suffered some damage and the inscription is badly eroded. Photo October 2016
Adams monument October 2016
Kneeling figure with wreath. Detail from the monument.
Kneeling figure with wreath – detail from the monument.

Monument

This monument, in the parish area of All Saints, is located against the west wall. It has suffered some damage and the inscription is badly eroded.

Inscription

DENNIS ADAMS MRCS JP died 9 July 1899 aged 86

Also HARRIOTT the beloved wife of DENNIS ADAMS and affectionate daughter of WILLIAM and CAROLINE GOODE died 30 Jan 1853 aged 42

Dennis Adams (1 June 1813 – 9 July 1899)

Dennis was born in Over – a village halfway between Huntingdon and Cambridge.  He. was the son of Robert and was educated privately before studying for short time at Cambridge. He later became a surgeon, obtaining his M.R.C.S in 1835, and his L.S.A from Guy’s Hospital in 1836.  He practised extensively within Cambridge, including many University students/members and by at least 1841 was working from Sidney Street in Cambridge.

He married Harriott Goode at Holy Sepulchre Church on 4 August 1846. The couple died not have any children, and Harriott died six years into the marriage.

After being widowed he continued to live at 30 Sidney street with his dispenser John Stanley and housekeeper Emma Crick who were in his employment for many years. In 1893 a dinner and presentation was held at the Prince of Wales Hotel to celebrate his 50 years of professional practice. Lord Hardwicke conducted the presentation and the great and the good of the time were in attendance.  Dennis was presented with: 4 antique candlesticks, 2 antique candelabras, 6 antique salt cellars and a plain bowl.  Special thanks were relayed to Dennis on behalf of the Prince of Wales ‘among many of the very happy recollections that he holds of his stay at this University there is none more pleasant to his memory than the acquaintance which he made with our honoured guest …and for who he had expressed by his tribute to the testimonial his great sympathy and esteem’.

In 1893 he gave the town £100 to celebrate the forthcoming wedding of  Prince George, Duke of York and Princess Mary of Teck.  The money was spent giving the ‘old folks of the town..the opportunity of heartily enjoying a good feast’.  As a result the Mayor and other leading members of the town gave Dennis a beautifully illuminated address, which told of their thanks which added ‘joy and gladness to the hearts of the aged, the indigent and the infirm’. Dennis replied that the Prince of Wales had shown him so much kindness, that he was honoured to give the donation.

Dennis played a major part in the town and represented Market ward on the council from 1868-1877, he then sat on the ‘Aldermanic Bench’ from 1877-1892. He was a staunch Conservative and led the party in West Cambridge as well as being the President of the Conservative Assocation of Village Clubs at one point. In his obituary it said ‘he can be best described perhaps as a conservative of the old school and he had the courage of his convictions’. He sat as a magistrate, as well as appearing as a doctor in front of the bench regularly.

Commercially he was one of the founders of the Cambridge University and Town Gaslight Company, serving as a director and later became chairman of the Board. He was also a director of the Cambridge Water Company and one of the founders of the Trowbridge Water Company. He owned Blackmoor Head Yard, as well as land on Madingley Road.

He was a governor of the Perse School, but was replaced in 1878 due to ‘failure to attend any meeting for the space of one year’.  He was a keen huntsman, sportsman and lover of horses. He was said to have hunted with more packs of hounds that anyone else in England.

Dennis died aged 86 years old at Sidney Street, having retired from medicine c.1893.  The Cambridge Independent Press reported ‘his demise was the result of extreme age…Mr Adams had borne his years well but during the last few months he had been entirely confined to the house. For nine weeks past his illness gave grave cause for anxiety but he battled bravely with death until nature could do no more and his rest came’. They also noted that ‘he had a wide circle of friends… a courtly manner and a large heart’.   The funeral took place at All Saints Church before internment at Mill Road Cemetery.

Harriott Adams  (née Goode) (31 May 1811 – 30 January 1853)

Harriott was the daughter of William and Caroline (née Harwood) Goode  and brother of John Harwood Goode. She was baptised at St. Benet’s Church on 19 May 1812. Harriott married Dennis Adams when she was 35 years old, and died aged 41 years old at their home.  She died after what the newspapers said was ‘a long and severe affliction, borne with the utmost fortitude and resignation, deeply and deservedly lamented’. She was buried at Mill Road Cemetery on 5 February 1853.

(NB – the age of death on the stone appears to be incorrect)

Sources:

Ancestry

Newspaper archives

by Claire Martinsen

[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]

Dennis Adams; Harriott Adams