CFHS code : AG221
Parish : St Andrew the Great
Inscription : In Affectionate Remembrance of JAMES PRATT d March 31st 1858 aged 40 also of JAMES SHILDRICK PRATT only son of the above d July 8th 1882 aged 30 and of FRANCES MARY youngest daughter of JAMES SHILDRICK PRATT d March 22nd 1882 aged 2 years and 8 months also of LYDIA ADAMS mother of the above d Dec 27th 1891
Monument : Headstone
Above information amended from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
James Pratt (1817 – 31 March 1858)
James was the son of Thomas and Sarah and was born in Bourn, just outside Cambridge. He was baptised on 8 September 1817 and married Lydia Shildrick on 20 March 1849 at St. Andrew’s Church. James worked as a college servant and the couple lived at 28 Orchard Street (1851) and then at Drummer Street. They had at least one child: James Shildrick (1851-1882) and he died at Drummer Street aged 40 years old.
James Shildrick Pratt (1851 – 8 July 1882)
James was baptised on 5 October 1851 at St. Andrew the Great and grew up at Drummer Street (1861) and then Malcolm Street (1871). Aged 19 he was living with his mother and working as a chemist. He married Martha May Beeching (1854-1928) on 1 July 1874 at St Mary the Virgin Church in Dover, Kent and they had at least three children: Harold Thomas James (1875-1965), Mabel Lydia (1877-1958) and Frances Mary (1879-1882). In 1881 the family were living in Charlton, Kent and James was a mineral water manufacturer employing 4 men. They appear to have returned to Cambridge the following year where youngest daughter Frances died in March and James died in July aged 30 years old.
Frances Mary Pratt (1879 – 22 March 1882)
Frances was born in Dover and was baptised at St. James’ Church on 14 August 1879. It is believed she died at 135 Gwydir Street aged 2 years old.
Lydia Adams (née Shildrick) (c.1815 – 27 December 1891)
Lydia was born in Stretham, a village four miles south of Ely and was the daughter of James. She married James Pratt in 1849 when she was 33 years old. After she was widowed she married widower William Moore Adams (1803-1873) on 15 August 1859 at All Saints’ Church. William was an auctioneer’s clerk/appraiser and the couple lived at 1 Drummer Street (1861) and then 27 Malcolm Street (1871). Lydia was widowed for a second time in 1873 and then moved to lodge with William and Mary Beamiss at 30 Hills Road (1881). In April 1891 she was living at 46 Hills Road and died at home aged 75 years old.
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]