CFHS code : MG236
Parish : St Mary the Great
Inscription : In Memory of SAMUEL WILES ADDISON d Dec 1st 1892 aged 2 also SUSAN MARY wife of the above b Oct 4 1845 d May 14 1896
Monument : Headstone/Kerb stones
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.202179, 0.13730435 – click here for location
Samuel Wiles Addison (d 1892)
Samuel was the son of Samuel and Maria (née Parsons) Addison and grew up on Trumpington Street. His father was college porter at St. Catherine’s College. Aged 20 Samuel (Jnr) was working as a book keeper at the Bull Hotel for owner John Moyes. Samuel married Susan on 15 August 1867 at St. Mary the Great Church and they had at least one son: Charles Samuel (1868-1937). When the census of 1871 was taken he was lodging on his own in Islington and his occupation was noted as cashier. By 1881 the whole family were lodging at Whitehorse Road in Croydon, Surrey and Samuel continued to work as a clerk. In 1891 he was once again lodging in London by himself and working as a manager in a wine shipping company. He died in Lambeth, London.
Susan Mary Addison (née Groves) (4 October 1845-14 May 1896)
Susan was the daughter of Charles and Susan Groves and was born in Newmarket. She grew up on Clarendon Street where her father was a baker/grocer. She married Samuel Addison when she was 21 years old and when he was in London in 1871 lived with her parents at 18 Earl Street. She died at 6 Market Hill, Cambridge aged 50 years old.
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]