CFHS code : AL564
Parish : St Andrew the Less
Inscription : In Loving Memory of THOMAS GREENWOOD d Apr 2 1895 aged 38 also FRANK GREENWOOD d Mar 3 1897 aged 8 also JANE ANDERSON d Jun 10 1923 aged 63 JOHN MARTIN GREENWOOD who was killed in action in France Dec 23 1915 aged 23
Monument : Kerb stones
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.203845, 0.13767699 – click here for location
This set of white marble kerb stones with cornerstones, in the parish area of St Andrew the Less, is located close to the northerly continuation of the central path, on the left side of the path as it curves left, two graves back (behind the Masterson grave). The inscription, in black metal letters, runs from the top kerb along the bevelled edge of the right kerb, to the bottom kerb, then along the bevelled edge of the left kerb stone, and finally along the top edge of the right kerb.
‘In loving memory of Thomas Greenwood,
died April 2, 1895, aged 38 years.’
‘Also Frank Greenwood
died March 3, 1897, aged 8 years.’
‘John Martin Greenwood,
who was killed in action in France
Dec 23, 1915, aged 23 years.’
‘Also Jane Anderson
died June 10, 1923, aged 63. R. I. P.
John Martin Greenwood (1893-1915) – WW1 soldier – see also Life Story page
John was born in 1893 in Cambridge. He was the youngest of four sons born to Thomas Greenwood and Jane Greenwood (née Cook). John was probably named after his paternal grandfather, also called John Martin Greenwood. His father was a tailor. The family grew up in Cambridge including at 29 Kingston Street (Petersfield). John’s father died when he was about two years old. After his death his mother remarried five years later to Fred Anderson, a gardener. The family lived at 46 Kingston Street and then 17 Victoria Road. John and his elder brother, Albert, became postmen.
Thomas Greenwood (1856-1895)
Thomas was born in 1856 in Cambridge. He was one of at least four children born to John Martin Greenwood senior and Ann Greenwood (née Dunn). Thomas was probably named after his paternal grandfather, Thomas Greenwood senior. His father was a tailor and brought up his family at 7 Falcon Square before moving to 7 Saxon Street and then 41 Gwydir Street (Petersfield). Thomas followed in his father’s footsteps and also became a tailor. He married Jane Cook in 1882 in Cambridge. They had four sons: Edwin Thomas (1883-1932), Albert (1886-1933), Frank (1889-97), and John Martin (1893-1915). The family lived at 29 Kingston Street (Petersfield). On 2 April 1895 Thomas died in Kingston Street.
Jane Anderson, formerly Greenwood (née Cook) (1860-1923)
Jane was born in 1860 in Cambridge. She was one of at least eleven children born to John Cook and Sarah Ann Cook (née Chapman). Her father was a labourer or general hawker (seller) and brought up his family at Bermuda Row before moving to 4 Miller’s Yard, 21 Shelly Row and finally 10 Porcher’s Yard. By 1881 Jane was working as a live-in domestic housemaid at 31 Dingwall Road, Croydon, Surrey. Her employer was a Henry Balch, a clerk for the Stock Exchange.
However, the following year she married Thomas Greenwood in 1882 in Cambridge. They had four sons: Edwin Thomas (1883-1932), Albert (1886-1933), Frank (1889-97), and John Martin (1893-1915). The family lived at 29 Kingston Street (Petersfield). Thomas died in 1895 and five years later Jane remarried to a Fred Anderson, who was a gardener. They lived at 46 Kingston Street before moving to 17 Victoria Road where Fred died in 1910. Jane remained at 17 Victoria Road until her death on 10 June 1923. She died in Addenbrooke’s Hospital.
Frank Greenwood (1889-1897)
Frank was born in 1889 in Cambridge. He was the third of four sons born to Thomas Greenwood and Jane Greenwood (née Cook). His father was a tailor. The family grew up in Cambridge including at 29 Kingston Street. Frank’s father died when he was about six years old. Frank died on 3 March 1897 at the age of eight.
[If you know anything further about the lives and careers of these people, please contact us with the information.]
War Graves Photographic Project
Post Office Rifles (Wikipedia)
Cambridge Independent Press, 5 April 1895
Cambridge Independent Press, 7 January 1916
Cambridge Independent Press, 27 December 1918
By Emma Easterbrook, Mary Naylor and Ian Bent