CFHS code : CL45

Parish : St Clement

Inscription : In Loving Memory of EMILY BACKLER d Sep 22 1937 In Loving Memory of AGNES PURKIS d Oct 28th 1937 aged 78

Monument : Headstone/Kerb stones (fallen)

Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey

Lat Lon : 52.202408, 0.13804709 – click here for location

Emily Backler inscription

Monument

Only one inscription was found, on a slab within the kerb stones on this monument in the parish area of St Clement.

Inscription 

In Loving Memory of EMILY BACKLER died Sep 22 1937

In Loving Memory of AGNES PURKIS d Oct 28th 1937 aged 78

Emily Catherine Backler (1866 – 22 September 1937)

Emily,  the daughter of George, a gardener and Elizabeth (née Last) Backler,  was a school teacher.  George and Elizabeth brought up their family in Bradmore Street, Cambridge (1871/1881) and then at 2 James Street (1891). They had at least seven children: George (1847-1873), Sophia (1849-1873),  Elizabeth (1853-1908), Ellen Louisa (1856-1916), Mary Sophia (1859-1927), Clara Jane (1862-1930) and Emily. Emily’s parents and elder brother George are buried in the parish of St Andrew the Less with no known monument.

In 1891 Emily was living at home and working as an assistant school teacher.  She then moved to live at 4 Newmarket Road with sisters Clara and Mary, and Mary’s children Charles and May (1901) and was recorded as being a schoolmistress. In 1911 she was living with  Clara and niece May at 48 Abbey Walk. She died at Abbey Walk aged 71 years old.

Agnes Purkis (1859 – 28 October 1937)

Agnes was the youngest child of John and Esther (née Duce) Purkis. John Purkis was a painter and the family lived at 28 James Street (1861). Her father died in 1865 and Agnes then lived with her mother at 5 Burleigh Street (1871) before working as a servant for solicitor William Deacon in Sydenham (1881). She returned to Cambridge and worked as a dressmaker and then as a college servant.  She lived at  Bertha Cottage, 35a James Street from at least 1891 onwards, with her mother and then alone after Esther died in 1908.

Sources:

Ancestry

Newspaper archives

Parish burial records transcribed by CFHS

by Claire Martinsen and Mary Naylor

[If you have any information about these persons, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]

Emily Backler; Agnes Purkis