CFHS code : MG32

Parish : St Mary the Great

Inscription : In Loving Memory of JAMES BACON [d Feb 27 1875] aged [7]2 also of MARTHA ANN BACON wife of the above d March [4] 1890 aged 75 also of CLAUDE EDWARD BACON grandson of the above d January 9 1897 aged 32

Monument : Headstone

Above information from amended from Cambridge Family History Society Survey

Lat Lon : 52.202267, 0.13742564 – click here for location

Bacon grave
Bacon headstone

Monument

This headstone stands 4 rows east of the central path in the parish area of Mary the Great. The inscriptions are hard to read.

Inscription

In Loving Memory of JAMES BACON d Feb 27 1875 aged 72

Also of MARTHA ANN BACON wife of the above d March [4] 1890 aged 75

Also of CLAUDE EDWARD BACON grandson of the above d January 9 1897 aged 32

James Bacon (28 June 1803 –  27 February 1875)

James was born in Trimingham, Norfolk and baptised there on 13 January 1805. He was the son of William and Frances (née Nurse) and was living in Cambridge when he married Martha Wakefield in June 1833 in London. The couple had one son: James John (1833-1897) and lived at 15 Market Hill where James ran a tabacconist shop that had been started by his father.  In 1871 the couple were living at Market Hill with son James, his wife and five grand children.  James died in February 1875 and James (Jnr) took over running the business.
He died at home aged 71 in the parish records and was buried on March 4th 1875.

James’ brothers Thomas, William and Robins are also buried at Mill Road Cemetery

Martha Ann Bacon  (née Wakefield) (1815 – 4 March 1890)

Martha’s father was a farmer, and grew up in Great Chesterford. After she was widowed she lived at Benson Lodge, Huntingdon Road and died there aged 75 years old.

Claude Edward Bacon (1865 – 9 January  1897)

Claude was born in London and was the eldest son of James John Bacon  and Martha Prowett (née Fuller) (1838-). His father ran the family tabacconist buisiness at 17 Market Hill and Claude worked as his assistant (1891).  He was a member of the ‘Reform Club Dramatic amateurs’ and in October 1880 ‘made a very pretty little bridge in the character of Jane’ in their performance of Damon and Pythius’.  He died aged 32 years old and the funeral took place on 13 January.

Claude’s sister Jessie is also buried at Mill Road Cemetery

Sources:

Ancestry

Newspaper archives

You can read more about  Bacon’s tobacconist shop on Capturing Cambridge https://capturingcambridge.org/centre/market/16-market-hill/

by Claire Martinsen

[If you have any  urther information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]

Claude Edward Bacon; James Bacon; Martha Ann Bacon