CFHS code : HT302
Parish : Holy Trinity
Inscription : In Loving Memory of JANE BAKER d December 8 1912 age 71 also CLARA JANE SHIELD d Nov 6 1949 aged 74 CHARLES JOHN BAKER d April 15 1924 aged 83
Monument : not described
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Jane Baker (née Gray) (1841 – 1912)
Jane was the daughter of Thomas and Rebecca (née Wythers) Gray and grew up at 3 Sussex Street where her father was a shoemaker. She married Charles Baker on 5 May 1863 at Holy Trinity Church and they had nine children: Annie Gray (1864-1949), Harriet Louisa (1867-1950), Arthur George (1870-1954), William Wesley (1872-1941), Clara Jane (1874-1949), Herbert Thomas (1876-1947), Edith Mary (1878-1939) and two more children who died as infants. Charles was a grocer when they married and the family lived at 6 Church Street (1871). He later ran a grocery shop at 98 Fitzroy Street (1881), but by 1891 was running a confectionery shop at 1 Station Road. The family then ran the Warwick Hotel, 35 Hills Road (at least 1901 onwards). In 1911 Jane was noted as the hotel proprietress, and Charles was a fire life assurance agent. Jane died at the hotel aged 71 years old and was buried at Mill Road Cemetery on 11 December.
Clara Jane Shield (née Baker) (12 November 1874 – 6 November 1949)
Clara was the third daughter of Charles and Jane Baker and aged 16 was living at Station Road and working as a milliner’s apprentice. She married William Edward Shield (1873-1912) on 18 September 1894 at Hobson Street Chapel, Cambridge and they had four children: Gladys Queenie (1895-1977), Eric William (1898-1951), Edna Muriel (1901-1971) and Leslie Edward (1905-1967). William was a grocer and they lived in Paddington (1901) and Fulham (1911). William died in December 1912 aged 39 years old, the same month as her motherJane. Clara returned to live in Cambridge and in 1939 was living at 3 Cross Street with her sister Annie. She was noted on the records as being incapacitated and died at Cross Street aged 74 years old.
Charles John Baker (1841 – 15 April 1924)
Charles was born in Cambridge and went to boarding school in Soham. In 1861 he was lodging at 99 Fitzroy Street and working as a grocer.
In 1920 the ‘Christmas morning open air swimming’ was reported in the Cambridge Independent Press. The ‘water at a temperature of 43 degress, they were heroes all – at any rate to the uninitiated spectator, who thought he saw little enjoyment to be derived from a dip in the chilly waters of the river at 8 o’clock on a December morning’. There were a variety of races and handicaps and 37 bathers (all male) took part. Many of the bathers also swum on Boxing Day and then returned to the Warwick Hotel for an ‘excellent breakfast…nicey served by the Misses Baker and their staff’. At the breakfast Mr G.J. Hill addressed the diners – ‘he wished he said that he could address them as ‘Ladies and Gentlemen’ (laughter). He did so because he believed that there were a certain number of ladies in Cambridge who would like to bathe in winter, and unfortunately there were not the opportunities for them to do so. He thought there ought to be some facilities for them as well as for men. This was supposed to be an age of equality and he did not see why women should not as well as the men have the bathing place always free for them (hear, hear). It was a ratepayers’ affair and he did not see why the women should be charged if the men were not.’ Mr Hill emphasised the benefit of open air swimming ‘the uncovering of the skin to the open air and to the full effects of the sun were the best aids to health’ and wanted those gathered to ‘impress that fact more strongly on people’s minds’.
Charles Baker died at the Warwick Hotel aged 83 years old and his daughters continued to run the hotel until at least 1939.
Parish burial records transcribed by CFHS
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]