CFHS code : PL526
Parish : St Paul
Inscription : In Loving Memory of JOHN ROBERT BARKER d 1897 ALFRED BARKER d 12 Oct 1903 EMILY GRACE BARKER d 17 Apr 1922 also their father ALFRED BARKER d 5 May 1932
Monument : Kerb stones
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
John Robert Barker (5 December 1877 – 26 April 1897)
John was the eldest son of Alfred and Caroline Barker. His father worked as a railway porter and he grew up at 27 Railway Cottages, Mill Road (1881). John joined the Royal Marine Light Infantry on 10 March 1896 when he was 18 years old and was based at barracks in Chatham, Kent. He died in Chatham of acute fluid on the lungs. His body was brought back to Cambridge, where his funeral took place on 2 May 1897.
Alfred Barker (1880 – 12 October 1903)
Alfred was the second son of Alfred and Caroline and worked as a railway signalman. In April 1901 he was lodging in Clare, Suffolk and married Kate Elizabeth Hardy (1879-1949) later the same year. Kate’s father Daniel was the Clare village baker. The couple had two daughters: Violet May Gertrude (1902-1964) and Lily Florence (1903-1988). Violet was born in Clare, but the family had moved to Stretham, near Ely by the time Lily was born. Alfred died in Stretham aged 23 years old and was buried in Mill Road Cemetery on 17 October.
Emily Grace Barker (1889 – 27 April 1922)
Emily was the third daughter of Alfred and Caroline and lived with her parents. In 1911 she was living with them at 142 Mill Road and working as a dressmaker. Emily died at Addenbrooke’s Hospital and her funeral took place on 3 May 1922.
Alfred John Barker (14 September 1854 – 5 May 1932)
Alfred was the son of John Robert Barker (1827-1874) and Susan (née Reader) (1825-) and was baptised at St. Giles’ Church on 7 April 1857. John was a hairdresser and in November 1855 he and John Bowman were charged with stealing £800 in gold from Samuel Howard, ‘an old man living in Hauxton’. The trial caused much interest in Cambridge and the two men were found guilty. They were sentenced to death, which was later commuted to ‘transportation for twenty years’. In July 1856 they were moved from the County Goal to Milbank Prison, London awaiting transportation. John Barker was eventually sent to Tasmania and married Susannah. They had a son called Robert (1858-1926) and John is believed to have died in December 1874 in Campbell Town, Tasmania.
In 1861 Alfred was living at Castle Street with his mother and two siblings. Susan was noted as a ‘widow’ and was working as a laundress. She subsequently ‘married’ for a second time to widow William Sizer. William was a shoe and bootmaker and they lived at Fisher’s Lane, Cherry Hinton. Aged 16, Alfred was also working as a shoe and bootmaker and living with his mother and step father. He married Caroline Ann Lagdon (1856-1940) on 12 August 1875 in Cherry Hinton. The couple had eleven children: Eliza Susan (1876-), John Robert, Alfred, Bertie William (1882-1944), Leonard Charles (1884-1949), Beatrice Eleanor (1886-1966), Emily Grace, Cyril George (1892-1972), Violet Nellie May (1895-1981), Rodney Claud (1896-1974) and Private Sidney Reginald Frederick (1899-1918). Youngest son Sidney served with the Kings Royal Rifle Corps, 6th (City of London Battalion), the London Regiment and died of wounds at the front in September 1918.
Alfred worked as a railway porter (1881) and then a railway guard (1901). The family lived at 142 Mill Road (1901/1911) and then 76 St. Philip’s Road. Alfred died at home and was buried in the family grave on 7 May.
Caroline Barker continud to live at St. Philip’s Road and in 1939 was documented as being incapacitiated. She died in February 1940, but the grave register does not show that she was buried with her husband and children. This might be an error, or she might have been buried elsewhere.
Parish burial records transcribed by CFHS
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]