CFHS code : CL64
Parish : St Clement
Inscription : In Loving Memory of THOMAS MASON BARNETT d June 29 1924 aged 63 also FANNY BARNETT d May 28 1941 aged 70
Monument : Kerb stones
Above information amended from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.202367, 0.13835243 – click here for location
Located in the second row west of the east path, in the parish area of St Clement, usually hidden under a large bush. The kerbstones, corner posts and inscriptions of metal letters appear intact.
In Loving Memory of
THOMAS MASON BARNETT died June 29 1924 aged 66 years
Also FANNY BARNETT died May 28 1941 aged 70 years
Thomas Mason Barnett (c.1861 – 29 June 1924)
Thomas was born in Donington, a village eight miles north of Sleaford in Lincolnshire and aged 20 was working as a farm servant at ‘The Grange’ in Anwick, Lincolnshire. He married Fanny Rhodes in 1886 in Gainsborough and they had five children: Francis Bradley (1887-1975), Claude Harold (1891-1908), Olive (1893-), Ethel (1897-) and another child who died as an infant. Thomas worked as a railway signalman and the family lived in Helpringham, near Sleaford (1891), Doncaster (1901) and York (1911). By at least 1918 however the family had moved to Cambridge and lived at 29 St. Philip’s Road until at least 1922. It is thought Thomas then became the landlord of the Baron of Beef, Bridge Street and died at the pub aged 63 years old.
Fanny Barnett (née Rhodes) (10 October 1863 – 28 May 1941)
Fanny was born in the village of Kexby, four miles south east of Gainsborough, Lincolnshire. She was the daughter of William and Maria and grew up in the village, wheere her father was a wheelwright. After she was widowed she ran a Lodging House at 106 Mawson Road with youngest daughter Ethel and died there aged 77 years old.
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]