CFHS code : AS316
Parish : All Saints
Inscription : In Loving Memory of ANN ELIZABETH BEALES b Jan 21 1834 d Nov 21 1878 also BARNET WILLIAM BEALES husband of the above b Nov 3 1828 d Feb 9 1908 also ANNIE BEATRICE BEALES daughter of the above b Nov 19 1860 d Nov 2 1912
Monument : Headstone
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.203349, 0.13676045 – click here for location
The centre of the three Beales headstones that face the path in the north west corner of the parish.
In Loving Memory of ANN ELIZABETH BEALES
Born Jan. 21. 1834. Died Nov. 21. 1878.
Also BARNET WILLIAM BEALES husband of the above
Born Nov. 3. 1828. Died Feb. 9. 1908.
Also ANNIE BEATRICE BEALES daughter of the above
Born Nov. 19. 1860. Died Nov. 2. 1912.
Ann Elizabeth Beales (née Smith) (21 January 1834 – 21 November 1878)
Ann was the daughter of Foreman Biggs Smith and her father ran a hosiery shop on King’s Parade. She married Barnet Beales on 4 October 1853 at Great St. Mary’s Church. Barnet was a tailor and robemaker and they lived at 26 Green Street (1861) and then at 42 Sidney Street (at least 1871 onwards). The couple had at nine children: Barnet William (1854-1945), Eliza Adelaide (1856-1937), Ellen Mary (1858-1938), Annie Beatrice (1860-1912), Albert Edward (1863-1925), Edith Kate (1865-1866), Edith Kate (1868-1956), Charles Arthur (1870-1905) and Maud Lucy (1872-1944). Ann died at Sidney Street after what newspapers reported as a ‘long and painful illness’.
Barnet William Beales (3 November 1828 – 9 February 1908)
Barnet was the son of tailor/robemaker Barnet Beales and his wife Eliza. He grew up at Sidney Street and married Ann Smith when he was 24 years old. As well as being a tailor he was also ran the Panton Brewery.
Barnet played a prominent role in town life and was a member of the Cambridge Board of Improvement Commissioners and then served as a Councillor and Alderman on the Town Council. He was a Conservator of the Cam, Income Tax Commissioner and Director of the Cambridge Permanent Benefit Building Society. He was a Freemason, Church warden at St. Michaels and later for All Saint’s Church. His greatest passion appears to have been the Cambridge Town Rifle Corps (later known as the Cambridge Volunteers). He enlisted on 1 February 1860 and was the seventh person to join up. He served until c.1888 and left with the rank of Major and Honory Lieutenant-Colonel.
He died at Sidney Street aged 79 years old and was buried at Mill Road Cemetery on 12 February. It was reported that he had been ill for the last nine years of his life and had ‘never completely recovered from the effects of an accident…he was knocked down by a retriever dog and received concussion of the brain. This compelled him to give up all of his public work and although he was afterwards seen out from time to time, he was always more or less an invalid up to the time of his death’. At the funeral about 20 members of the 3rd (Cambs) V.B, the Suffolk Regiment attended, and after the coffin had been lowered into the grave, the ‘Last Post’ was sounded by the buglers.
Barnet and Ann’s eldest son Lt. Col Barnet William Beales served as Mayor of Cambridge (1916-1917).
Annie Beatrice Beales (19 November 1860 – 2 November 1912)
Annie was the baptised on 16 December 1860 and lived with her parents/father at 42 Sidney Street. After their deaths she moved to 8 Station Road and in 1911was living there with her sister Eliza and niece Beatrice Mary Beales. She died at a nursing home in Leeds, but was still living at Station Road at the time. She was 51 years old.
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]