CFHS code : AS109
Parish : All Saints
Inscription : In Memory of / JOHN GILLAM BELL / Solicitor Cambridge / b Feb 24 1826 / d March 14 1859
Monument : Headstone/Ground slab
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.203592, 0.13675747 – click here for location
This intact headstone, in the parish area of All Saints, is located in the north west corner of the parish. The inscription is still visible.
In Memory of
JOHN GILLAM BELL
born Feb 24 1826
died March 14 1859
John Gillam Bell (1826-1859)
John was the son of corn merchant/farmer John Gillam and Eliza (née Robson) Bell and was born at Peas Hill. His mother died a week after his birth, presumably as a result of complications. In 1841 he became an articled clerk to solicitor Stephen Adcock, and qualified as a solicitor in 1847. He practised at 33 Sidney Street
He married Ann Radclyffe Hall (1827-) on 11 November 1850. Ann was the daughter of Rev. Francis Russell Hall, the vicar of Fulbourn and sister of surgeon Francis Russell Hall. In 1851 the couple were living at 11 Brunswick Place in 1851. John was admitted to the the Sussex House Asylum for Gentlemen in Hammersmith in August 1857, and died there in March 1859.
His property was auctioned in February 1859 and consisted of: ‘extensive premises St Andrew’s Street…valuable and extensive..with excellent frontages and great depth..adjoining the establishment of Mr R. Sayle. Also a freehold brick and slate tenement on the East Road’. His four life policies worth £899 were also auctioned.
by Claire Martinsen
[ If you have any further information, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]