CFHS code : ML64
Parish : St Mary the Less
Inscription : To the Memory of HERMANN BERNARD MA & Phil D of the University of Giessen in Hesse Dermstadt for many years Hebrew teacher to the University of Cambridge d Nov 16 1857 aged 72
Monument : Obelisk
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon: 52.202723, 0.13804756 – click here for location
This unusual, weathered obelisk was constructed in 1857, from pink-coloured Ketton limestone. At each corner around the base there are four moulded stone bollards with pyramidal tops. There is an inscription in English and Hebrew on the obelisk.
‘To the memory of Hermann Bernard
MA and Phil Dr. of the University of Giessen in Hesse Darmstadt
For many years Hebrew teacher to the University of Cambridge
Who died Nov 16 1857
The Hebrew inscription is illegible
Hermann Bernard (1785-1857)
Hermann Bernard lived in Cambridge and taught Hebrew at Cambridge University for around 20 years until his death.
He received his MA and PhD from the University of Giessen in the Grand Duchy of Hessen-Darmstadt (near Frankfurt in Germany), and it is thought he may have changed his surname from ‘Hurwitz’ at some point.