CFHS code : BE32
Parish : St Bene’t
Inscription : In Loving Memory of ELIZABETH BETTS d Jan 11th 1924 aged 88
Monument : Kerb stones
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Elizabeth Betts (née Duce) (c.1835 – 11 January 1924)
Elizabeth was born in Great Shelford and was the daughter of Richard. In 1861 she was 26 years old and working as a housemaid for ‘merchant druggist’ John Arnold at Tower House in Great Barford, Bedfordshire. She married Philip Betts (1838-1914) on 22 December 1862 in Great Barford and they had four sons: Walter (1864-1951), George Owen (1866-1929), William (1868-1948), Sidney (1873-1941). In 1871 the family were living at Great Barford House, where Philip was domestic coachman, and Elizabeth acted as as housekeeper whilst the family were away.
By 1881 they had moved to Cambridge and were living at the George and Dragon coffee tavern on Newmarket Road. Philip was documented on the census as being a railway servant, and Elizabeth is noted as ‘mangeress coffee house’ – they also had 12 lodgers living with them at the George and Dragon. In 1891 Elizabeth, Philip and youngest son Sidney had moved to live at 120 Gwydir Street, and Philip was still working on the railway. The couple remained at Gwydir Street until at least 1910, but then moved to live at The Bungalow, Cross road in Lexden, Colchester. Their youngest son Sidney had married in 1897 and moved to Colchester where he worked as a county court bailiff – so this was perhaps what took the couple to Essex. It is believed that Philip died in Colchester in 1914.
Elizabeth died in Cambridge aged 88 years old. In 1924 two of her sons were living in Cambridge, so it is probable that she died whilst living with them. George Owen Betts was a dentist who lived in Great Shelford, and Sidney ran a grocery shop at 19 King Street (at least 1920 onwards) and lived at Mawson Road.
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any information about this person, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]