CFHS code : HT164
Parish : Holy Trinity
Inscription : In Loving Memory of GEORGE EDWIN BIGG d Nov 21st 1930 in his 58th year also MAY EMILY BIGG d Dec 22 1952 in her 77th year
Monument : Kerb stones
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Located in the parish area of Holy Trinity, in the south east corner, two rows from the east wall.
In Loving Memory of
GEORGE EDWIN BIGG called home Nov 21st 1930 in his 58th year
Also MAY EMILY BIGG called home Dec 22 1952 in her 77th year
George Edwin Bigg (1873 – 1930)
George was the son of John Walter and Mary Bigg. He was born in Glemsford Suffolk where his father was a farmer. By 1891 the family had moved into 148 Gwydir Street, Cambridge and George was working as a printer compositor.
George married May Emily Reynolds at the Eden Baptist Chapel on July 23rd 1901. By 1911 they had four children Edith May (b 19o4), Doris Emily (b 1905), Walter (b 19o8) and Norman William (b 1911).
George was the owner of The Sturton Town Print Works, a family business run from a building at the rear of 148 Gwydir Street. The building still exists. George was also Sunday school superintendent at the Eden Chapel.
After George died his son Norman carried on the business.
May Emily Bigg (née Reynolds) (1875 – 1952)
May’s birth was registered in Wisbech in 1875. She was born in Outwell, which lies on the border of Cambridgeshire and Norfolk, to William and Emily Reynolds. William was a grocer and draper. In 1881 they were living at Church Terrace, Outwell but by 1891 had moved to Church Street, Woodhouse, St Ives, Huntingdonshire where May helped her parents in the family business.
[If you have any information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]
CFHS Parish & Census records
British newspaper archive
By Mary Naylor