CFHS code : AL376
Parish : St Andrew the Less
Inscription : In Loving Memory of JOHN WALTER BIGG d 16 Nov 1898 aged 90 also of MARY his beloved wife d 12 May 1901 aged 68
Monument : Headstone
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
This well preserved headstone, in the parish area of St Andrew the Less, is located west of the east path facing the path.
In Loving Memory of JOHN WALTER BIGG
Who departed this life November 16th 1898 in his 91st year
“Though lost to sight to memory dear”
Also of MARY his beloved wife
Who fell asleep May 12th 1901 aged 68 years
“For so he giveth his beloved sleep”
John Walter Bigg (1808 – 1898)
John was born in Glemsford Suffolk, probably the son of John and Ursula He was the owner occupier of Place Farm, Low Street, Glemsford. By 1851 he was farming 72 acres and employing two men and by 1861 the farm had grown to 120 acres and employed six men and a boy. The poll book for 1889 shows he still owned and lived in the farmhouse after his retirement. The 1891 Poll Book shows him living in Cambridge but the farm remained in the family and was eventually taken on by his son Spencer Walter Bigg who was known to be there in the 1920s and 1930s.
John married Sarah Emberson on 26th September 1831 in Great Waltham, Essex, Sadly Sarah died in on December 18th 1863. It is thought that he married Caroline Barnes in January 1865 and they had a son, John Walter Augustus. Caroline died in 1868 at the age of 37. He then married Mary Ingle on August 22nd 1871 at the Baptist chapel Warboys, Huntingdonshire.
John and Mary had three children George Edwin (b 1873), Clara Emily (b 1875) and Spencer Walter (b 1876).
Mary Bigg (née Ingle) (c 1833 – 1901)
Mary was born in Cottenham, Cambridgeshire. In 1851 Mary Ingle was living with her parents Elizabeth and Henry Ingle on the High Street, Cottenham. Henry was a carpenter and also farmed 18 acres and at the time of her marriage in 1871 he was described as a builder. In 1861 she was still with her parents and working as a housekeeper.
[If you have any information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]
British newspaper archive
The Foxearth & District local history society – Glemsford in the early 1920’s by Ted Hartley
By Mary Naylor