CFHS code : MG98
Parish : St Mary the Great
Inscription : In Loving Memory of WILLIAM BOND d July 28 1904 age 86 and of ANNE his wife d Jan 4 1909 age 88 In Loving Memory of MAY BOND b 27 May 1875 d 28 Apr 1934 and of HENRY BOND her husband d June 6 1938 age 85 also of their daughter ANNE d Oct 31  age 83
Monument : Celtic cross/Kerb stones
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.202167, 0.13794771 – click here for location
William Bond (1818 – 28 July 1904)
William was the son of grocer Thomas and Elizabeth and was baptised in Cambridge on 21 June 1818. He married Anne Hallack on 2 September 1845 and the couple had at least three children: Anne (1857-1930), Henry (1853-1938) and Mary Elizabeth (1856-1896). They lived at 1 Butcher’s Row (1851/1861), 3 Trumpington Street (1871) and then Beech House, 3 Brookside (at least 1881 onwards). William was a tallow chandler when he and Anne married and was later a grocer, running a business called ‘Thomas Bond and Son’. In 1866 he went into partnership with Alfred Bryan and the business became known as ‘Bond and Bryan’ and were ‘family grocers, tea dealers and provision merchants’. They had a store at 57 Sidney Street, opposite Sussex Street (1866). He also appears to have been in partnership with his brother in law, and their company was called ‘Messrs. Hallack and Bond’.
In 1860 William stood as a candidate for Market ward on the council and the Cambridge Chronicle and Journal published a stinging critique of his candidacy: ‘the Liberals have selected as their candidate that precious piece of self-importance, William Bond….if perversity and obstinacy, combined with low Radicalism are the requisite qualifications of a town Councillor, the Liberals could not have made a better selection….Men of extreme views like William Bond the grocer are not in my opinion, the men to be trusted in the conduct of public business. Self-conceited, arbitrary and wilful men – no compromise men should never be trusted’. He did not win the seat at that attempt and lost by a narrow margin. He represented East Barnwell ward from 1862-1883, was a J.P. for twenty years and was made a town Alderman. From 1888 to 1901 he was a member of the newly formed County Council. He was a member of the Liberal Party and leader of the party in Cambridge. A presentation was made to him in December 1892 to recognise all his services to the town.
William was a committed member of the non-conformist church and had a ‘sincere adherent to Free Church principles and very zealously did all he could to forward them…besides holding offices in connection with the old Downing Street Congregational Chapel, he became an official of the Cambs. Congregational Union’.
He died at Brookside and was said to have only been ill for a short time ‘he was seized with illness and death occurred in a short time from syncope’. His funeral took place at Emmanuel Congregational Church on 2 August and his body was then taken to Golder’s Hill for cremation. The Cambridge Independent Press published a report of the funeral which said that ‘men of all shades of religious and political thought assembled to pay their tribute of respect to the memory of one who in a long life had taken a prominent part in the public affairs of his town…no man had fewer enemies’.
Memorial windows were commissioned in his memory which were placed in the apse of Emmanuel Congregational Church. The windows were made by William Morris and represented the six Cambridge puritans (Henry Barrow of Clare College, John Greenwood of Corpus Christi College, John Milton of Christ’s College, Oliver Cromwell of Sidney Sussex College, Francis Holcroft of Clare College and Joseph Hussey the first minister of the church). The dedication ceremony took place in January 1906.
Anne Bond (née Hallack) (1810 – 4 January1909)
Anne was the daughter of grocer/tallow chandler Thomas Hallack and Ann (née Maling). She died at 3 Brookside aged 88 years old.
May Bond (née Shuckburgh) (27 May 1875 – 28 April 1934)
May was born in Eton and was the daughter of Evelyn Shirley Shuckburgh (1843-1906) and Frances Mary (née Pullen) (1852-1920). Her father was an assistant master of Eton school and later librarian of Emmanuel College. In 1901 she was living with her parents at Grove Cottage, Grantchester and was working s a typist. May was the second wife of Henry Bond and married him on 27 June 1903 at St. Mary’s Church, Battersea. Henry was an academic and they had three children: Dorothy Anne (1905-1983), William Evelyn Shuckburgh (1907-1989) and another as yet identified daughter. She died in Cambridge aged 58 years old.
Henry Bond (19 September 1853 – 6 June 1938)
Henry was the only son of William and Anne Bond and went to school at Amersham Hall School, then to University College London and to Trinity Hall in 1873. He was a keen rower at Trinity Hall and was cox of his college first boat. He came second in the History Tripos of 1877 and specialised in the study of Law and History. He won the Members’ Prize for an essay on German influence on English literature and was said to have visited Germany every year whilst an undergraduate. He was awarded a B.A. in 1877, LL.M in 1880 and LL.D. in 1888. He was made a fellow of Trinity Hall in 1887 and lectured in Law from 1887-1919. He was master of Trinity Hall from 1919 to 1929.
He married Helene Clara Jooss (1868-1891) in Stuttgart on 20 March 1888. The marriage was short lived as Helene did of tuberculosis in Falkenstein in February 1891. His second marriage was to May Shuckburgh.
He was a J.P and sat on both the town council and the Board of Guardians. He retired to live at 8 Millington Road, but died whilst on holiday at the Riviera Hotel in Bournemouth in June 1938.
Anne Bond (1847 – 31 October 1930)
Anne was the eldest daughter of William and Ann and lived with her parents until their deaths. She then lived at 52 Bateman Street and died at home aged 83 years old.
Picture of Henry Bond reproduced by kind permission of the Masters and Fellows of Trinity Hall, Cambridge.
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]