CFHS code : ED21
Parish : St Edward
Inscription : Sacred to the Memory of WILLIAM BOND d June 8 1859 aged 45
Monument : Headstone
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.203111, 0.13749541 – click here for location
This elegantly sculpted headstone with fluted sides, on its own base, in the parish area of St Edward, is located three rows west of the central path, 25 yards north of the centre circle.
Sacred to the memory of William Bond
who died June 8 1859 aged 45 years
The Lord gave and the Lord hath taken away;
Blessed be the name of the Lord. [Job 1.21]
William Bond (c.1814‒59)
William was a porter at Trinity Hall, University of Cambridge, from sometime before 1841 to his death in 1859.
William married Mary Ann Stamford (c.1810‒86) of Cambridge in the Church of the Holy Sepulchre (Round Church) on 13 June 1841. The couple had at least one son, William Stamford Bond (1842‒83), who was baptised at St Edward’s Church on 30 April 1842.
William died on 8 June 1859 at the age of 45, and his body was buried on the 13th of that month in Mill Road Cemetery, in row XXXI of the St Edward parish area, in grave 9, at a depth of 9 feet.
Mary Ann died c.1 April 1886 aged 76, and was buried in this grave on 4 April (the grave book records ‛14 April’), her address at that time being 1 Albert Street, Cambridge. Son William Stamford died c.1 April 1883 aged 41 and was buried in this grave on 3 April, his address being Newmarket Road.
[If you have any information about this person, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]
Church of St Edward, Cambridge, baptismal, banns and burial registers, grave book
Church of the Holy Sepulchre, Cambridge, marriage register
By Ian Bent