CFHS code : AL94
Parish : St Andrew the Less
Inscription : In Loving Memory of GEORGE THOMAS LINSEY d Oct 28 1920 aged 46 also ELIZABETH MARIA LINSEY wife of the above d Aug 9 1938 aged 63 and GEORGE W D LINSEY only son d April 24 1902 aged 10 months
Monument : Headstone/Kerb stones/Flowerholder
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
George Thomas Linsey (1874 – 28 October 1920)
George was the son of David and Harriett Linsey. His father was a college gardener and he grew up at 15 Caroline Place, and later at 63 Norfolk Terrace with his eight siblings. Aged 17 George was working as an general labourer. He married Elizabeth Brown in 1895 at the age of 21.
George and Elizabeth had four children: Hilda May (1896-19460, Stella Agnes (1899-1980), George William David (1901-1902) and Doris Mabel (1904-2005). They also raised their niece Clara Bell, who lived with them for much of her childhood.
In 1901 the family were living at Stanley Road and George was working as a poultryman. In the census records of 1911, George is recorded as being a patient at Addenbrookes Hospital. He ran the Wrestlers Arms on Newmarket Road for 19 years, but died in 1920 at Addenbrookes Hospital aged 46 years old. Notices placed in local newspapers at the time stated that he had died after an operation. He left an estate valued at £724 4s.
The Cambridge Daily News reported on 3rd November:
Mr George T. Linsey
The funeral of Mr George Thos. Linsey who passed away at Addenbrooke’s Hospital on Thursday last, took place on Tuesday afternoon at Mill-road Cemetery. Mr Linsey was well known in the locality of the Wrestler’s Arms, which house he had kept for over 19 years. There was a number of friends and neighbours present at the ceremony to pay their last respects. The Rev. E.J. Church officiated. The coffin was of polished oak, with solid brass fittings and bore the following inscriptions ‘George Thomas Linsey’ died October 28th 1920, aged 46 years’
Elizabeth Maria Linsey (nee Brown) (1874 – 9 August 1938)
Elizabeth was born in Cambridge and is believed to have been the daughter of William and Sarah Brown. William Brown was a labourer in a brickworks, and the family lived at 138 Newmarket Road. Aged 17 Elizabeth was working as a domestic servant for the Cawthorn Family at 8 James Street.
She married George Linsey aged 21 years old. They had four children and she was widowed at the aged of 46 years old. She moved in with her daughter Doris and son-in-law William and lived at 14 Blossom Street. She died at Addenbrookes Hospital aged 63 years old, leaving an estate valued at £355 2s 10d.
George William David Linsey (June 1901 – 24 April 1902)
George was the only son of George and Elizabeth Linsey. He died aged 10 months old.
William Elijah Brignell (1 October 1900 – 25 February 1987)
William was the son of William and Louisa Brignell. His parents were from Cambridge, and although he was also born in Cambridge, but grew up largely in Rotherham where his father was a bricklayer. He married Doris Linsey in 1926 in Cambridge, and they had one son: Raymond.
In 1939 he was living at 14 Blossom Street with Doris and working as a Second Chef. Indeed he worked as a chef all his life and worked in ‘The Dorothy’,’ Hawkins’, and was head chef at the ‘West House Hotel’ in Cambridge. He also worked at Westminster College as a chef and other duties once he retired. He died aged 86 years old and was buried in Mill Road Cemetery on 3rd March 1987.
Doris Mabel Brignell (née Linsey) (24 November 1904 – 18 November 2005)
Doris was born in Cambridge and grew up at the Wrestler’s Arms which her father George ran. She married aged 22 years old. Doris was a nanny until she had her son and thereafter stayed at home looking after him and her husband. Once Raymond had left home she was a bedmaker at St John’s College and then New Hall College in Cambridge, until she retired. She died aged 100 years old.
Our grateful thanks to the Brignell family for the information supplied.
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]