CFHS code : AS98
Parish : All Saints
Inscription : In Loving Memory of ELIZABETH BROWN d Jan 25th 1915 aged 86 and of her beloved daughter KATE LOUISA d 16th Aug 1942 the dearly beloved wife of JOHN MURRISH MA JOHN MURRISH b 1888 d 3rd Sept 1965
Monument : Stone cross (base only)/Kerb stones
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
We have not been able to access this monument to photograph it or check the inscription but have been sent this picture and information.
There is a memorial window at All Saints’ Church, Jesus Lane, Cambridge paid for by John Murrish in memory of his wife, Kate Louisa, and installed in 1944. It was made by the artist Douglas Strachan and, in honour of women’s wartime achievments, it champions four famous women: Elizabeth Fry, Josephine Butler, Mother Cecile Isherwood and Edith Cavell. It is known as the “Womanhood Window” and can be seen when the church is open, usually Saturdays from 10:00-16:00.
Elizabeth Brown (c 1829 – 1915)
It is thought Elizabeth was born Elizabeth Taylor. She kept a lodging house on Jesus Lane. It is thought she married James Brown in 1862 when he was a 30 year old working as a gyp at Trinity College. By the time Kate was baptised he was working as a waiter but in 1871 Elizabeth was living with Kate at 44 Jesus Lane. By 1881 Elizabeth was a widow. No burial record has been found for James who may have died at sea, as when he and Kate married, his occupation was given as naval officer. She was still running the lodging house at the age of 83 (1911 census). When she died she was living at 36 Jesus Lane.
Kate Louisa Murrish (nee Brown) (1864 – 1942)
Kate was born on 24th October 1864 and baptised in All Saints church on January 15th 1865. She was the daughter of James (at that time a waiter) and Elizabeth Brown. Until her marriage she was living with her widowed mother in Jesus Lane in the Parish of St Andrew the Great/All Saints, where she was a governess (1891) and a teacher of dancing (1901/1911). She also taught Sunday school at all Saints church. She married John Murrish on July 29th 1922 when she was 55 and he was 36. The wedding took place in Horningsea, Cambridgeshire. Her address was given as Fison’s Lane, Horningsea. When Kate died, at the age of 76, she was living at 46 Roseford Road, Cambridge.
John Murrish (1888-1965)
John was born in St Just, Cornwell and baptised at the Wesleyan Chapel there on April 15th 1888. He was the son of William (a tin miner) and Mary Murrish. In 1891 the family were living in Cape Cornwell St Just. William was not at home on the night of the census. In the 1911 census Mary was a widow with her two youngest children living at home. John had made his way to Cambridge.
John founded the 12th Boy Scouts troop in Cambridge in 1911. During WW1 he served in the army and when he was demobbed in 1919, he lost no time in resuming this work. The troop were by all accounts great at outdoor operations revelling in mud on Quy Fen. John was surely proud when, in 1947, he performed the naming ceremony for a landing craft from WW2 which had been restored by his old troop.
At the time of their marriage John was a tutor at Springfield College, Mosely Birmingham.
[If you have any further information about this family please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]
CFHS parish and seances record transcriptions
British Newspaper Archive
Cambridge Scout’s Magazine Jan 1920 (online)
Mile Petty – Cambridgeshire News Index