CFHS code : ED53
Parish : St Edward
Inscription : In Loving Remembrance of HARRIETT wife of JAMES HENRY BULLOCK who passed away on Easter Eve 1920 aged 59 also JAMES HENRY husband of the above d Dec 15th 1949 aged 87
Monument : Headstone/Kerb stones
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.203151, 0.1372778 – click here for location
Harriett Bullock (née Webb) (160 – 3 April 1920)
Harriett was the youngest daughter of John and Ann (née Bonnett) and grew up at 27 New Square (1861/1871) and then at 15 Parkside (1881/1891). Her father was a printer and in 1881 was employing 11 people in his business.
Harriett married printer James Bullock on 25 October 1894 at Christ Church and they lived at 46 Glisson Road. Harriett died at home and was buried at Mill Road Cemetery on 7 April.
James Henry Bullock (23 October 1862 – 15 December 1949)
James was the son of Charles and Selina (née Bowman) and was baptised in Chesterton on 16 November 1862. He grew up at 4 Parson’s Court, and Charles Bullock was a bank clerk. James went to the Perse School and then up to Trinity College in October 1881. He was awarded a B.A. in 1884 and an M.A. in 1888 and worked as a printer for thirty years.
James served on the Council of the Cambridge Antiquarian Society (1929-1938) and translated part of the ‘Chartulary of Lewes’ with a Mr. Palmer. He was also a co-opted member of the Cambridge Borough Library (1887-1938), governor of the Old Schools of Cambridge (1892-1938) and Manager of the Cambridge Central School for Boys. James presented the prizes at the Central School for Boys sports day in June 1939. The Headmaster remarked on the day that James had been connected with the school for over 50 years and that ‘he had recently been unwell, but they were very glad to welcome him to the sports again’. James Bullock died at Glisson Road in 1949.
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]