CFHS code : AL367
Parish : St Clement
Inscription : WILLIAM GEORGE CHAMBERLAIN d March  1943 aged 80 also his beloved wife MARY ANN CHAMBERLAIN d Aug 12 1945 aged 84
Monument : Kerb stones/Flowerholder
Above information amended from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.202667, 0.138147 – click here for location
Located to the north of the east west path, in the parish area of St Clement. CFHS identified it as being in the parish area of St Andrew the Less.
WILLIAM GEORGE CHAMBERLAIN died March  1943 aged 80 years
Also his beloved wife MARY ANN CHAMBERLAIN died Aug 12 1945 aged 84 years
William George Chamberlain (1863 – 1943)
William was the son of William and Elizabeth Chamberlain. He was brought up in at 1 Blackamoor Head Yard off Bridge Street, Cambridge. His father was a groom but he died in 1866, when William was only 3 years old. His mother then went to work in one of the colleges. William also started his working life as a college servant but by 1901 he was a cab proprietor and in the 1920s had become a photographer’s assistant. During WW1 he worked with the Royal Army Medical Corps at the 1st Great Eastern General Hospital.
He married Mary Ann Crack on January 7th 1885 at St Clement’s Church, Bridge Street. They had at least five children; Charles John William (b 1895), Eleanor Ellen May (b 1896), Emma Amelia (b 1898) and William George (b 1900).
When the children were born the family were living in Nine Pin Court, off Thompson’s Lane.
William was living at 63 Searle Street when he died. He was buried on March 12th.
William’s brother Charles, with his wife Florence, are also buried in this cemetery but we have not yet found the monument.
Mary Ann Chamberlain (née Crack) (1861 – 1945)
Mary was the daughter of Charles and Mary Ann Crack. She was brought up in Thompson’s Lane, Cambridge. Her father was a tobacco maker and publican. Mary was living at 63 Searle Street when she died.
[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]
CFHS transcripts of parish and census records
by Mary Naylor