CFHS code : MC41
Parish : St Michael
Inscription : In Loving Memory of MARY ANN CHRISTMAS the beloved wife of WILLIAM CHRISTMAS d October 8th 1905 aged 66 also of WILLIAM CHRISTMAS d August 9th 1927 aged 84
Monument : Headstone/Kerb stones
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.20261, 0.13783725 – click here for location
Mary Ann Christmas [nee Leader] (1837 – 8 October 1905)
Mary Ann was born and brought up in Cambridge. Her parents John and Mary Ann Leader had a tailors shop at 26 Gold Street, Cambridge. She married William Christmas in 1871 and they had at least 4 children together William James [1866 – ], Florence Mary Ann [1869 – 1915], Alfred Richard [1873-1953] and Frederick John [1876 – 1951].
Initially they lived at 167 Gwydir Street, but then moved to 7 Green Street, where they ran a bakery and confectioners shop. Mary Ann died aged 68 years in 1905 by which time they were living at New Square.
William Christmas (1843 – 9 August 1927)
William was born in Willingham where his parents Richard and Ruth ran a bakery at 7 Church Street. William had moved to Cambridge by 1861 where he was working as a journeyman apprentice baker. He married Mary Ann in 1865 aged 22, and eventually took over premises at 7 Green Street where he ran a bakery and confectioners shop. When Mary Ann died in 1905, he remarried to Clara MacKay in 1912. He died aged 84 leaving £,2043 in effects to Clara.
William and Mary Ann’s sons went on to run businesses in Cambridge too. Frederick John Christmas took over the bakery business at 7 Green Street . Alfred Richard Christmas was the sub-post master at 25 Magdalene Street for over 30 years. William James Christmas also followed his father in becoming a baker – he had a bakery in Sidney Street, which later moved to 8/9 Sussex Street.
By Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]