CFHS code : PL332
Parish : St Paul
Inscription : In Loving Memory of CHARLES THOMAS CLEE d July 5 1887 aged 60 also of MARY ANN CLEE wife of the above d May 22 1897 aged 7 also ELIZABETH CLEE d May 1 1878 aged 73 also WILLIAM CLEE husband of the above d Feb 12 1886 aged 82 also ADA MARY ISABEL FARMER (nee CLEE) d Feb 15 1970 aged 79
Monument : Stone cross/Kerb stones
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Relationships: Mother, father, son, daughter-in-law, grand-daughter
Charles Thomas Clee (c.1828 – 5 July 1887)
Charles was the son of stonemason William Clee and his wife Elizabeth Ann. He grew up at 52 Coronation Street, and became a stonemason like his father. He married Mary Ann Bell on 23rd February 1851 at St Paul’s Church. Immediately after marriage they were living at 17 George the IVth Street with Mary’s mother Ann Bell, a college bedmaker.
Charles and Mary had at least nine childen: Mary [1851-1933], Catherine [1857-1891], Isabel [1859-], Laura [1863-1928], John Beaupre Bell [1864-1940], Ann Elizabeth [1867-]. Ada Agnes [1869-1900], Teresa Susan Amy [1873-1939] and an adopted son Albert H Lloyd [1875-]. The family lived at 20 George Street  and then at 26 Panton Street .
Charles appeared in court in April 1871 accused of receiving stolen goods. On February 14th 1871 eight dozen pocket knives had been stolen from the shop of Robert Bowd. Charles Clee was then seen around the town selling the knives on for six pence each. He was sentenced to four months hard labour. The census of the same month described him as ‘formerly stonemason’. He died aged 59 years old.
Mary Ann Clee (née Bell)(c.1830 – 22 May 1897)
Mary was the daughter of John and Ann Bell. Her father was a waterman, and her mother a college bedmaker, and she lived at George IVth Street before marriage. She married Charles Clee when she was around 21 years old. After being widowed she continued to live at 26 Panton Street, and became a college launderess with the help of her daughters. In 1891 she was being helped by Annie, Ada and Theresa who were all noted on the census as ‘assistant launderess’. She died at 26 Panton Street aged 67 years old.
Elizabeth Ann Clee (née Pettit) (c.1805 – 1 May 1878)
Elizabeth was the mother of Charles Thomas Clee. She married William Clee at St Andrew’s the Less on 23rd July 1826. He worked as a stonemason and they had at least nine children: Charles Thomas [1828-1887], Frederick William [1831-], Alfred [1833-1845], Edward James [1835-1878], Augustus Henry [1837-1837], Augustus Henry II [1840-1895], Amelia [1842-1916], Selina Mary [1844-1922] and Harriet [1845-1932].
In 1841 the family were living at 52 Coronation Street, and at 49 Coronation Street in 1851. By 1861 Elizabeth and William were running the Dog and Duck pub in St Mary’s Passage, where William was a ‘stonemason and publican’. In the census of 1871 both Elizabeth and William were living with daughter Harriet at 51 South Street. Harriet had married tailor John Burton, and had four young children at the time. Elizabeth died aged 73 years old.
William Clee (12 August 1804 – 12 February 1886)
William was the son of John and Mary Clee, and was born in the village of Bitterley, just outside Ludlow in Shropshire. He was baptised in Bitterley on 9th September 1804. After being widowed he continued to live with daughter Harriet and her husband. He was living with them and their by then eight children in the census of 1881. He died in February 1886.
Ada Mary Isabel Farmer (née Clee) (10 January 1891 – 15 February 1970)
Ada was the daughter of John Beaupre and Harriet Clee, and a grand daughter of Charles and Mary Ann Clee. She was born in Norwich and grew up at 49 Argyle Street. Her father John worked as a stonemason, like his father and grandfather. She married James Cruwy Farmer [1879 – 1958] at St Barnabas Church on 3rd September 1919.
In 1939 she was living at 24 Tenison Avenue with her son Charles [1922 – 2013] and was a housewife and volunteer for the Red Cross. She died in Cambridge in 1970.
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]