CFHS code : PL243
Parish : St Paul
Inscription : In Loving Memory of RICHARD FRANK COLEMAN d March 3 1899 aged 45 also ARTHUR son of the above d November 19 1890 aged 6 Sleep on beloved sleep and time the rest Lay down thy head on thy Saviors breast We love thee well but Jesus loves the best Good Night Good Night Good Night also EMMA the beloved wife of RICHARD FRANK COLEMAN d April 3 1930 aged 81
Monument : Headstone
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Monument Located midway between the west path and the central path, roughly 30 metres to the north of the south path.
In Loving Memory of RICHARD FRANK COLEMAN d March 3 1899 aged 45
Also ARTHUR son of the above d November 19 1890 aged 6
“Sleep on beloved sleep and take thy rest
Lay down thy head on thy Saviors breast
We love thee well but Jesus loves the best
Good Night Good Night Good Night.”
Also EMMA the beloved wife of RICHARD FRANK COLEMAN d April 3 1930 aged 81
Richard Frank (Frank) Coleman (1854 – 3 March 1899)
Frank was the son of Thomas and Harriet and was born in Duxford. His father was a farm bailiff and he grew up in Barkway, Hertfordshire (1861) and Plumstead, Kent (1871) and aged 17 was working as a labourer. He married Emma Wibdy in 1877 and they had ten children: Ruth Beatrice (1878-1930), Maud Emma (1880-1953), Edith (Edie) May (1882-1920), Arthur (1884-1890), Richard Thomas (2885-1939), Annie Lilian (1887-1984), Harry (1888-), Alfred George (1889-1968), Isabella Rose (1891-1958) and Frances Mary (1892-1925).
In 1881 Frank was running a shop in Dry Drayton, and then moved to run a bakery/confectioners shop at 70 Mill Road (1891). He died at Mill Road aged 45 years old.
Arthur Coleman (c.1884 – 19 November 1890)
Arthur was the eldest son of Frank and Emma and died aged 6 years old.
Emma Coleman (née Wibdy) (1849 – 13 April 1930)
Emma was born in Girton and was the daughter of Joseph and Elizabeth (née Webster). Her father was an agricultural labourer and she grew up on the High Street in Girton. After she was widowed she ran the business on Mill Road with the help of children Alfred, Isabella and Frances (1911). In January 1918 the business was offered for sale in local newspapers which advertised ‘Confectioner’s shop, bakehouse, premises and house for sale – apply Coleman, 70 Mill Road, Cambridge’.
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]