CFHS code : AL75
Parish : St Andrew the Less
Inscription : In the name of Jesus Pray for the repose of the soul of ELIZABETH CONNOR d Jan 11 1887 in her 5 year also PAT[RICK] CONNOR the [husband] of the above d 1892
Monument : Headstone
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Located east of the path close to the Norfolk Street gate. This monument fell some time ago and the headstone has been covered by grass.
In the name of Jesus pray for the repose of the soul of ELIZABETH CONNOR
Who died Jan 11 1887 in her 54 year
Also PATRICK CONNOR the husband of the above d 1892
Also AGNES CONNOR
Elizabeth Connor née Hale (1832 -1887)
Elizabeth was born in Reed, Hertfordshire. Her parents may have been William and Judith Hale. William may have been a farmer. Judith died in 1851.
She married Patrick in on January 29th 1855 at St Andrews Church, Union Road*. This was the original Catholic church in Cambridge.
They made their home in Staffordshire Street, where they had least eleven children: James (1853), Francis (1857), Agnes (1858), Thomas (1860), John (1862), Peter (1865), Elizabeth (1867-), Joseph (1868), Henry (1870-), George (1873-) and Bernard (1877).
All the children, except James, (who was baptised in Reed) were baptised at the Catholic Church (Our Lady of the English Martyrs*) under the surname O’Connor in the CFHS transcript.
Elizabeth died at the family home in Staffordshire Street at the age of 54.
Patrick Connor (1825 -1892)
Patrick was born in Co. Down Ireland. Nothing is known of his parentage or early life. The 1851 census shows him lodging in Newmarket Road, Cambridge and it states he is married which may be an error as he is shown as a bachelor at his marriage in 1855. In every census he was recorded as a hawker (street trader).
Patrick was living in Albert Street, off Fitzroy Street, when he died aged 67.
Agnes Connor (1858 – 1911)
Agnes was the third child of Patrick and Elizabeth Connor. She was born on March 14th 1858 and baptised on May 8th that year. Her godparents were Robert Bocock and Elizabeth May.
Agnes died in hospital.
Of the other children, James became a traveling draper, John and Joseph joined the army – the life guards, Bernard fought in the Boer war and later became a policeman.
[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]
*St Andrews Church, Union Road was built between 1841 & 1853 to serve the needs of the Irish workmen who had recently come to Barnwell. Our Lady of the English Martyrs on the corner of Lensfield Road was built in 1890 and the site of the smaller church became part of the Catholic school. (Victoria County History – British history online). The church building designed by A. W. Pugin was dismantled and rebuilt in St Ives, Cambs.
CFHS Transcripts of parish and census records
Family Search and Find my Past websites
British history on Line
Edited by Mary Naylor from information supplied