CFHS code : HT356q
Parish : Holy Trinity
Inscription : HENRY COX b Sept 10 1840 d Feb 4 1910 ANN COX b March 5 1844 d Sept 26 1933
Monument : Stone cross/Kerb stones
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
This stone cross with kerb stones, in the parish area of Holy Trinity, is located in the south east corner of the parish, on the west of the south path as it turns north. The inscription on the base is only just legible.
HENRY COX born Sept 10 1840 died Feb 4 1910
ANN COX born March 5 1844 died Sept 26 1933
Henry Cox (1840-1910)
Henry was the son of Francis and Ann (née Hill) and was born in Swannington, just to the north of Norwich. His father was a fishmonger, and in 1851 the family were living at Bridge Street, Norwich where eleven year old Henry was assisting his father in the business. By 1871 he had married Ann, and the pair were living at 14 Clement Place, Cambridge where he was a tabacconist. In 1881 they were running a pub at 38 Petty Cury, and were living with Henry’s brother William who was a shoemaker. They had moved again by 1891 to 27 King Street, where Henry was described as a clothier, and they were living with their 4 year old niece Maud Cox. In 1901 Henry was documented as a wardrobe dealer, and the family were at 18 King Street. He died at King Street and his funeral took place on 10 February 1910.
Ann Cox (1844-1933)
Ann was born in Upwell, a village south east of Wisbech and west of Downham Market. She was a farmer’s daughter, but little else is known of her early life. She continued to live at King Street after Henry’s death with adopted niece Maud Cox, and in 1911 was described as a wardrobe dealer. She later moved to 2 Elm Street, where she died aged 89 years old.
Parish burial records transcribed by CFHS
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]