CFHS code : AG493
Parish : St Andrew the Great
Inscription : IAR JOSEPH CROSIER d Nov 7 1851 aged 53 also of MARY his beloved wife d March 14th 1866 aged 65
Monument : Headstone
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Joseph Samuel Crosier (c.1798 – 7 November 1851)
Joseph was born in Newmarket, and married Mary Cole on 26 March 1823 at All Saint’s Church, Newmarket. They had at least seven children: Mary Ann (1823-1825), Elizabeth (1825-), Joseph Samuel (1827-1889), Mary Ann (1828-), Eliza Julia (1831-1862), Hannah (1839-1922) and Charles (1841-1875). In 1841 the family were living at Prospect Row in Newmarket, and Joseph was described as a dealer, but it is believed he also worked as a baker. When the census of 1851 was taken he was a patient at Camberwell House, a private mental asylum in Camberwell, London. He died there, and was buried in St. Giles’ Church Camberwell on 12 November 1851.
NB – the family surname is also spelt Crozier on some documentation.
Mary Crosier (née Cole) (c.1801 – 14 March 1866)
Mary was born in Brinkley – a village 15 miles east of Cambridge, and 5 miles south of Cambridge. In 1851 she was running the family bakery on the High Street in Newmarket together with her son Joseph, whilst her husband was hospitalised in London. Joseph had moved to Norwich by 1861, so she was running it with the help of two journeyman bakers. She died in 1866 at 22 Clarendon Street, the home of her son Joseph, and was buried at Mill Road Cemetery.
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]