CFHS code : CL4
Parish : St Clement
Inscription : Sacred to the Memory of JOHN CURWAIN d March 26 1850 aged 37 also MARY his wife d Jan 18 1881 aged 6
Monument : Headstone
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.202501, 0.1374076 – click here for location
The headstone, in the parish area of St Clement, has fallen and mostly covered by grass. What remains of the inscription is in a distinctive script.
Sacred to the Memory of JOHN CURWAIN who died March 26 1850 aged 37 years
Also MARY his wife d Jan 18 1881 aged 6
John Curwain (29 November 1812 – 26 March 1850)
John was baptised on 20 December 1812 at St. Clement’s Church and was the son of Samuel and Elizabeth (née Whimbey). Samuel Curwain was the driver of ‘the Wisbech day coach’. John married Mary Fitch on 2 February 1836 in Wilburton and is believed to have worked as a letter carrier/coachman. In March 1840 two men were ‘charged with stealing a hamper containing divers goods….from the van of John Curwain, carrier’. John was buried at Mill Road Cemetery on 1 April 1850.
Mary Curwain (née Fitch) (1816 – 18 January 1881)
Mary was the daughter of farmer William and Elizabeth (née King) and was born in Ely. She was baptised at St. Mary’s Church in Ely on 22 February 1816 and is believed to have grown up in Stretham and then Wilburton, where William Fitch farmed 18 acres of land. After she was widowed she ran a Lodging house at 18 Portugal Place (1851) and then 20 Malcolm Street (1861). In 1871 she was working as a housekeeper in Sonning, Berkshire before returning to live in Cambridge where she died aged 65 years old.
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]