CFHS code : ML54

Parish : St Mary the Less

Inscription : In Loving Memory of SAMUEL JARVIS CUSTANCE d April 4 1903 in his 60th year also SARAH CUSTANCE widow b Nov 9 1844 d Feb 5 1930 also MARY ANN ANDREWS CUSTANCE d Feb 6 1951 aged 79

Monument : Headstone/Kerb stones

Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey

Lat Lon : 52.202787, 0.13800672 – click here for location

Custance grave
Custance headstone

Monument

Inscription

Samuel Jarvis Custance (c.1843 – 4 April 1903)

Samuel was born in Cambridge and was the son of Charles and Fanny Custance.  He was baptised at St Clement’s Church on 13 October 1844.  He grew up at 2 Huntingdon Road, and his father worked as a ‘college servant’.  Aged 18 [1861] he was still living at home and working as a carpenter’s apprentice.

He married Sarah Andrews on 2nd May 1867. They had four children:  Sarah Elizabeth (Lizzie)  (1869-1911), Mary Ann (1871-1951), Cecil Ernest Andrews (1873-1934) and another child who died in infancy.

In 1868/1869 Samuel was running the Granta Pub in Newnham.  By 1871 however he was running the Kings Arms at 29 Union Road and he ran the Kings Arms until his death On the 1871 census he is described as a carpenter and publican, thereafter he is a ‘licensed victualler’.  He died in April 1903 aged 60 years old.

Sarah Custance (née Andrews) (9 November 1844 – 5 February 1930)

Sarah was born in Cambridge and was the daughter of George and Mary Andrews. George was a boot and shoe maker, and she grew up at 12 Petty Cury. She married Samuel Custance when she was 22 years old.

Samuel Custance died in 1903, and the Kelly’s Directory of 1904 shows Sarah as the landlady of the Kings Arms.  By 1911 however she was living at 6 Fitzwilliam Street and was a University Lodging House keeper.  She died at Fitzwilliam Street in 1930 aged 85 years old.

Mary Ann Andrews Custance (18 August 1871 – 6 February 1951)

Mary Ann was the second daughter of Samuel and Sarah Custance.  She was baptised at St Paul’s Church on 26th November 1871.  She grew up at the Kings Arms on Union Road and went to school at Eden Street Higher Grade Girls School.  In 1891 she was 20 years old and living at home, working as a teacher.  In 1901 she was working at Whitelands Training College in Chelsea, and was a teacher/governess.

The Cambridge Independent Press reported on 4th May 1900, that Eden Street Girl’s School had elected their new May Queen, which was an annual highlight of the year.  The girls were asked by the Reverend Murray to elect the girl that they thought were most like ‘our glorious Queen Victoria’.  Elsie Fisher was elected Queen Elsie, and was presented with the complete works of Ruskin by Lady Ball.  The books were a gift of old girl Mary Ann Custance.

In 1930 she was back in Cambridge and living with her mother at 6 Fitzwilliam Street.By 1935 she was living at 9 St Paul’s Road.  Her occupation was described as a ‘retired college lecturer’ [1939]. She was still at  St Paul’s Road in 1945, but by 1950 was at 10 Queen Ediths Road.  She died a spinster in 1951 at the Evelyn Nursing Home aged 79 years old.

Sources:

Ancestry

Newspaper archives

by Claire Martinsen

[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]

Mary Ann Andrews Custance; Samuel Jarvis Custance; Sarah Custance