CFHS code : HT323
Parish : Holy Trinity
Inscription : In Loving Memory of CAROLINE DEATH the beloved wife of JOHN DEATH Esq JP b July 23 1821 d June 17 1893 also In Ever Loving Memory of JOHN DEATH JP of Poplar House d Jan 4 1896 two days after his 78th birthday
Monument : Stone cross/Kerb stones
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
A tall Celtic cross in pink granite located midway between the central path and the east path, roughly six plots north of the south path. The inscription of metal letters on the west face is intact. We have not checked the east face.
In Loving Memory of CAROLINE DEATH the beloved wife of JOHN DEATH Esq JP born July 23 1821 died June 17 1893
Also In Ever Loving Memory of JOHN DEATH JP of Poplar House who fell asleep Jan 4 1896 two days after his 78th birthday
“He that believeth in the Son of God hath eternal Life”
Caroline Death (nee Apthorpe) (23 July 1821 – 17 June 1893)
Caroline was born in Cambridge, the daughter of James and Elizabeth. James was a baker who must have done well as by 18541 he was describing himself as a ‘gent’. Caroline married John Death, on February 23rd 1841 in the parish of Andrew the Less, aged 19. Caroline and John did not have any children. She died in 1893 aged 71. The Cambridge Independent Press reported that she died at Poplar House and that her death had been ‘very sudden’.
John Death (2 January 1818 – 4 January 1896)
John was born in Lakenheath, the son of schoolmaster *Walter and his wife Ann. He married Caroline Apthorpe in 1841 when he was 23 years old. In 1851 he was living with Caroline at Malcolm Street, and running a livery stable employing seven men. In 1861 he was living at 31 Jesus Lane, and was a livery stable keeper, a farmer of 150 acres and also a Parish Councillor – he was employing seven men and four boys. In 1871 he was still living at Jesus Lane, but by 1881 had moved to Poplar House at 52 King Street.
John Death served four terms as Mayor of Cambridge. Firstly in 1873-1875 and then again from 1880-1882. He laid the foundation stone for the Cambridge Corn Exchange which was opened during his second term on November 6th 1874. His name is on the building today.
“A promenade concert was held on 8th November featuring the Coldstream Guards and a local choral society. A mistake was made during the playing of the national anthem and later, rioters attacked the mayor’s house. The following trial attracted the world’s press and resulted in crowds of sightseers to the building, interfering with the corn trading.’ From Cambridge Mayors
He died aged 78, and left an impressive estate valued at £49,298 10s 10d.
*In 1844 Walter Death was earning £40 a year as schoolmaster http://santondownham.org/Archive/22villagesfull/lakenheath22/birth_of_a_country_school.htm
by Claire Martinsen