CFHS code : ED5

Parish : St Edward

Inscription : ISAIAH DECK d 5 Nov 1853 aged 61 also EMMA DECK daughter of above d 23 Mar 1861 SUSAN wife of ISAIAH d 4 Jun 1865 aged 76

Monument : Cruciform Coped stone

Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey

Lat Lon : 52.203083, 0.13755261 – click here for location

Deck monument 2017

Monument

This coped stone, with cross superimposed, and Gothic lettering, in the parish area of St Edward, is located beside the central path, on its western side, about 25 yards north of the centre circle.

Inscription

[south face:]
Isaiah Deck departed this life in peace 5th Nov 1853 aged 61
Emma Deck daughter of above died Mar 23 1861

[north face:]
By thy cross and Passion: good Lord, deliver us!
Susan wife of Isaiah Deck died Jun 4th 1865 aged 70

Isaiah Deck (c.1792‒1853)

Isaiah Deck was born c.1792 in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, son of Philip Deck and Anne Chaplin.  In 1825 he established himself in Cambridge on Trumpington Street as a ‛druggist’ and pharmaceutical chemist and mineral dealer.  Around 1830 he moved to an even more central address at 9 King’s Parade.  In 1843 he also opened a chemist’s shop in Leamington Spa (Warwickshire), run by his son, Isaiah (jnr), but this closed five years later.

Isaiah Deck (Cambridgeshire Collection)

Isaiah married Susan Norris (see below), daughter of W. Norris, on 31 August 1816, in Essex.  The couple had at least seven children: Isaiah (jnr) (c.1819‒), Norris (c.1821‒) and Emma (c.1823‒61) (see below), all born in Harwich, Essex, and Arthur (1825‒1903), Alfred (1829‒), Charlotte (c.1832‒) and Louisa (c.1834‒), born in Cambridge.  By 1851 Isaiah’s premises on King’s Parade housed not only four of those children but also an assistant chemist (Osmund Gauge), two apprentices (Arthur Okes, William Johnson), a cook and a house servant.

Isaiah described himself not only as a chemist but also as a ‛geologist and mineralogist’, and he supplied specimen minerals.  He compiled a catalogue of geological specimens, and also two mineral catalogues, one dated 1826.  He was hired in 1834 to arrange the large mineral collection of Sir John St Aubyn (1758‒1839).  He was elected a Fellow of the Geological Society in 1838.  He was a churchwarden of St Edward’s Church from 1829 to 1847.

Isaiah died in 5 November 1853, aged 61, and was buried on the 9th of that month in Mill Road Cemetery, in row XXXIII of the St Edward parish area, in plot 7 at a depth of 10 feet.

Emma Deck (c.1823‒61)

Emma Deck was born c.1823 in Harwich, Essex, daughter of Isaiah Deck, pharmacist (see above), and his wife Susan (see below).  Within two years the family had moved to Cambridge and was living on Trumpington Street, then from c.1830 at 9 King’s Parade.  Nothing is currently known of Emma’s baptism, childhood or upbringing.  No occupation is given for her at the age of 27 on the 1851 census, and by the time the 1861 census was taken she was dead.

Emma died on 23 March 1861, aged 38, and was buried on the 28th of the month in Mill Road Cemetery, in row XXXIII of the parish area of St Edward, in plot 7 at a depth of 9 feet.

Susan Deck (née Norris) (1792‒1863)

Susan Norris was born in 1792, presumably in Dover Court, Essex, the daughter of W Norris, ‛Commander of his Majesty’s packet Beaufon’.  Nothing is known of her baptism, childhood or education.

Susan married Isaiah Deck, chemist (see above), on 31 August 1816 at Dover Court, Essex.  The couple had at least seven children: Isaiah (jnr) (c.1819‒), Norris (c.1821‒) Emma (c.1823‒61: see above), Arthur (1825‒1903), Alfred (1829‒), Charlotte (c.1832‒), and Louisa (c.1834‒).  The family lived on Trumpington Street, Cambridge from 1825, and from c.1830 at 9 King’s Parade, where Isaiah was established as a pharmacist and mineralogist.

After Isaiah’s death in 1853, Susan moved to an address on Trumpington Street, where in 1861 she was living with Norris, Charlotte and Louisa, and one servant.  Susan outlived her husband by more than 11 years, dying on 4 June 1865, aged 70, and was buried on the 8th of that month in Mill Road Cemetery, in row XXXIII of the St Edward parish area, in plot 7 at a depth of 7 feet.

Sources:
English census reports 1841, 1851, 1861
The Mineralogical Record: Biographical Archive
Church of St Edward, Cambridge, burial register and grave book (Isaiah, Emma, Susan)
Church of St Edward, Cambridge, register of churchwardens (Isaiah)
Church of St Edward, Cambridge, baptismal register (Arthur, Alfred, Charlotte, Louisa)
Church of St Edward, Cambridge, banns and marriage registers (Louisa/Dennis Hall)
Oxford journal (shared by Sandra Patience) (marriage: Isaiah/Susan)
England & Wales, Civil Registration Death Index, 1837‒1915 (Isaiah, Emma)

By Ian Bent

 

Emma Deck; Isaiah Deck; Susan Deck