CFHS code : PL359
Parish : St Paul
Inscription : Mary …………………
Monument : Column
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
This column, in the parish area of St Paul, is located to the west of the central path.
Mary Doggett (née Harvey) (1798 – 12 July 1871)
Mary was born in Wymondham in Norfolk, and was the daughter of William Harvey. She married Edward Doggett at St Mary’s Church in Thetford on 4 February 1830. Edward was the son of Daniel and Arabella Doggett, and Daniel was a farmer from Winfarthing in Norfolk. Daniel Doggett died in December 1840, and in the census of the following year Edward, Mary and his mother Arabella were all living in Winfarthing (a small village just north of Diss). Edward Doggett died in Cambridge in June 1849 aged 57, and was buried in Winfarthing.
In 1851 Mary was living at Annesley Place in Cambridge, and her occupation was noted as an annuitant. When the census of 1861 was taken she was in Wymondham visiting her niece and nephew. In April 1871 she was visiting Frances Stutter at 83 Russell Street. Her occupation on the census was recorded as an annuitant. Mary was living in 2 Panton Street, Cambridge when she died. She was 73 years old.
The contents of her home were sold at auction on 10 August 1871 and advertised in the local newspapers. They consisted of: ‘mahogany four post and other bedsteads, mahogany lounge, chamber and other chairs, a quantity of silver and plated goods, and other articles too numerous to enumerate’.
St Paul’s grave book held at Cambridgeshire County archive
by Claire Martinsen with additional information by Mary Naylor