CFHS code : AG440
Parish : St Andrew the Great
Inscription : In Loving Memory of FRANCIS HENRY DOLBY d June 11th 1910 aged 45 In Loving Memory of GERTRUDE JARVIS SQUIRES d May 26th 1936 aged 52 In Loving Memory of FREDERICK GEORGE JARVIS ROBSON d March 11 1921 aged 36 son of Mrs DOLBY In Loving Memory of SARAH DOLBY d July 28th 1934 aged 87
Monument : Column
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
This column on a tiered square base, set within kerbstones. Is located in the northern section of the parish of Andrew the Great, midway between the west path and the centre circle. 9 rows west along the east west path from the centre circle, and 5 monuments north. Since the photo was taken the holly bush and ivy have grown and much of the carved inscription is now covered.
In Loving Memory of FRANCIS HENRY DOLBY who departed this life
June 11th 1910 aged 45 years
In Loving Memory of GERTRUDE JARVIS SQUIRES d May 26th 1936 aged 52
In Loving Memory of FREDERICK GEORGE JARVIS ROBSON d March 11 1921 aged 36 son of Mrs DOLBY
In Loving Memory of SARAH DOLBY who departed this life
July 28th 1934 aged 87 years’
‘Peace perfect peace”
Sarah Dolby (formerly Johnson née Jarvis) (c.1846 – 28 July 1934)
Sarah was the daughter of George and Sarah Jarvis and was baptised at St. Andrew the Great on 3 January 1847. She grew up at 8 Falcon’s Yard – which ran from Petty Cury to St. Tibb’s Row. George was a bricklayer, but later became the landlord of the Anchor Inn on Silver Street, where he also ran a boatyard. Sarah married Martin Beaumont Johnson (1844-1876 in St Andrew the Great church on 7 October 1869. Martin was a boatbuilder and the couple lived at the Anchor, where Martin ran the boatyard for his father in law. Martin died in a drowning accident in August 1876, which an inquest was found to be due to a probable fit.
Sarah then married widower Thomas Robson (1841-1894) in 1881. Thomas’s first wife Annie had died in December 1879 leaving him with eight children to raise. The couple had two children of their own: Gertrude and Frederick. Thomas was a printer but also a chorister, who was principal tenor at King’s College. In 1891 the couple were living at the Anchor with four of their children. Thomas died in March 1894 after a short illness, he was 53 years old. Although the burial register says he and Annie are buried in this parish we have not found their names in the grave register or on any monument..
Sarah married for a third time to Frank Dolby in 1897 and they ran the Anchor Inn together. After he died in 1910, she continued to be the landlady until at least 1918. In the 1916 Kelly’s Directory she was listed as being the landlady of the Anchor Inn and billiard room and also running the Anchor Boat house in Silver Street and the Robinson Crusoe Boat house on Sheep’s Green. Sarah died at 21 Millington Road, the home of her daughter Gertrude.
Francis Henry Dolby (Frank) (1865 – 11 June 1910)
Frank was born in Girton and was the son of Samuel and Harriet (née Mowson) Dolby. His mother died when he was 15, and in 1881 he was living with his father at Victoria Road and working as an errand boy. In 1891 he was living at 20 Parkside and working as a footman before marrying widow Sarah Jarvis in 1897. He died aged 45 years old at the Anchor Inn.
Gertrude Jarvis Squires (née Robson) (1883 – 26 May 1936)
Gertrude was the daughter of Thomas and Sarah Robson. She married William Clifford Squires (1878-1952) on 18 July 1906 at St. Botolph’s Church. She was given away by her brother and the reception was held at the Anchor Inn. The Cambridge Independent Press reported ‘the ceremony was witnessed by a large number of friends’. William was a solicitor’s clerk when they married, in 1936 was described as an organist, and later became a boat proprietor (1939). In 1911 the couple were living at Rugeley House, Harwick Street in Newnham Croft, and later moved to live at 21 Millington Road in Newnham Croft. Gertrude died at home aged 52 years old.
William Squires married for a second time in 1937 to Kathleen Lily Robson (1908-1995). He died at the Hope Nursing Home in July 1952 aged 74 years.
Frederick George Jarvis Robson (30 November 1884 – 11 March 1921)
Frederick was the son of Thomas Robson, and grew up at the Anchor Inn. By the age of 17 he was working as a boatbuilders apprentice. He married Florence Fearn Whitbread (1880-) at St. Paul’s Church in Bedford on 17 June 1906. They lived at 9 Grantchester Street in Newnham Croft (1911) and Frederick worked as a boatbuilder. The couple later divorced on the grounds of Florence’s adultery, she had given birth to a child by a Mr. Piggott in April 1914. The decree nisi was given in December 1915.
He served in the R.A.F. in the 1st World War and signed up in August 1915. In 1918 he married for a second time to Clare Musk (1884-1954), whose family ran the Jolly Miller’s Pub in Newnham. In 1920 the couple were living at Elstow House on Hardwick Street, and he died in 1921 aged 36 years old.
His widow Clare ran the Jolly Millers with her sister Caroline for many years, and died at the Home Nursing Home aged 69 years old.
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]