CFHS code : MC67
Parish : St Michael
Inscription : JAMES DOO b Nov 19 1828 d Aug 31 1912 MARY ELIZABETH his wife b Apr 29 1832 d May 10 1913 and 4 children died in infancy
Monument : Stone cross/Kerb stones
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.202693, 0.137724 – click here for location
Tis plinth stands a few metres from the centre circle and roughly in the centre of the parish area belonging to St Micael. We do not know when the cross fell and if it is still next to the plinth. By 2022 it was hidden under a large laurel bush. The inscription of metal letters was in good order in 2013 when the photo was taken.
JAMES DOO born Nov 19 1828 died Aug 31 1912
MARY ELIZABETH his wife born Apr 29 1832 died May 10 1913
Also 4 children died in infancy
James Doo (19 November 1828 – 31 August 1912)
James was the son of James and Ann Doo (nee Fox). He was born in Cambridge and baptised at All Saints Church on 25th December 1828. James Doo [Snr] was a grocer, who later had a shop at 12 Parker Street.
James aged 12, was living with his older brother George Fuller Doo, and two sisters at Bridge Street. George was running a grocer shop there. Aged 27 James married Mary Elizabeth Nichols.
James and Mary had fourteen children: Mary Emma (1856-1933), James Emile (1859-1915), Annie Sarah (1860-1939), Thomas Land (1861-1861), Isabella Charlotte (1862-1864), John (1856-1856), James Emile (1858), Thomas Land (1864-1867), John (1865), Harriett Isabella (1867-), Edwin Arthur (1868-1948), Harold Charles (1870-), Ethel Maude (1872-1948) and Lilian May (1874-1947).
James Doo became a grocer like his father. He ran a shop at 8 Trinity Street from at least 1861 to 1888. By 1890 he was living at 24 Green Street, and in the 1891 census was described as a grocer and rate collector.
He was still a rate collector on Green Street in 1901 and 1911. He died at Green Street aged 83 years old and was described on probate records as a retired grocer.
Mary Elizabeth Doo (nee Nichols) (29 April 1832 – 10 May 1913)
Mary Elizabeth was the daughter of Land and Sarah Nichols. Land Nichols was the Porter at Christs College, and his brother Thomas was the Under-Porter – so Mary grew up in Christs College. She was baptised on 19th July 1832 at St Andrew the Great.
Her father died in 1848, and aged 18 she was living with her Uncle Thomas at the Porters Lodge, who by this time had been made Porter. She married James Doo in 1855.
Doo Infant deaths – We have been able to research some of the Doo children who died in infancy:
Thomas Land Doo (1861-1861)
Thomas was born in 1861 and baptised on 29th March 1861. He appeared on the census records of that year living at 8 Trinity Street. He died in September 1861 and was buried on 11th September.
Isabella Charlotte Doo (1862 – 1864)
Isabella was born in 1862, and baptised on 25th December 1862. She died in March 1864, and buried on 23rd March.
John Doo (1865-1865)
John was born in August/September 1865. He was baptised on 28th September, but died a few days later. He was buried on 2nd October 1865.
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]