CFHS code : PL151
Parish : St Paul
Inscription : In Loving Memory of OLIVER DRING who passed peacefully away June 3rd 1906 age 61 also ELIZA wife of the above d July 8th 1926 aged 80
Monument : Headstone (fallen)
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Oliver Dring (c.1845 – 3 June 1906)
Oliver was born in St.Ives (a village between Cambridge and Huntingdon) and was the son of James and Susan Dring. He grew up at Green’s Walk, Hemingford Grey where his father worked as a labourer and his mother as a charwoman. At the age of 16 (1861) he was living at home and working as an apprentice stonemason. He married Eliza Redhead in 1870 and the couple had three sons: William Stanley (1875-), Herbert (1877-1955) and Oliver Sidney (1879-1971). The family lived at 100 Russell Street (1871/1881), 36 Hills Road (1891) and then at 16 Norwich Street (1901). He was listed on Cambridge directories as being a monument stonemason and died aged 61 years old.
Eliza Dring (née Redhead) (1845 – 8 July 1926)
Eliza was born in Wimblington (a village three miles south of March) and baptised in Doddington on 31 August 1845. She was the daughter of labourer Thomas Redhead and his wife Mary. Aged 16 she was working for Jebez Benton in Somersham – Jebez ran the Rose and Crown pub there and Eliza was working as a domestic servant for the family. She married aged 24 years old. After she was widowed she lived with her son Oliver at Norwich Street (1911) and later moved to the Seymour Street Almshouses, off Vinery Road (at least 1920 onwards). She died at the Almshouses aged 80 years old.
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]