CFHS code : CL2
Parish : St Clement
Inscription : In Memory of JOHN EADEN d November 29 1852 / aged 79 / also of / ANNE his wife / d July 14 1858 / aged 81
Monument : Headstone
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.202483, 0.13740674 – click here for location
This grave, in the parish area of St Clement, is the middle one of three graves of the Eaden family which are located east of the central path close to the centre circle. The headstone has fallen and the inscription is being eroded.
In Memory of John Eaden who died November 29 1852 aged 79
Also of Anne his wife died July 14 1858 aged 81
John Eaden (1774 – 1852)
John Eaden, son of William and Susanna, was baptised in the parish of St Benedict, Cambridge on April 10th 1774. He was a merchant but also seemed to have had some standing in the town as by the 1851 census he was a magistrate as well. He married Ann Pryor on March 1st 1796 at St Giles without Cripplegate Church, City of London.
Anne Eaden née Pryor (1777 – 1858)
Anne came from Stevenage, Hertfordshire. Nothing more is known about her family. When Anne died she was living in the parish of St Andrew the Less.
The couple had at least eleven children, seven of whom survived infancy and, as the family were non-conformists, they paid to have the birth dates recorded in the non conformist register*.
Ann 12.06.1806- 25.3.1878
Charles James ? – Jan 1808 – buried St Giles, Cambridge
Octavious 15.12.1808 died 1832,
Frederick ? – Mar 1811 – buried St Giles, Cambridge
Alfred 13.1.1813 –
Mary Ann 1815 – Oct 1817 – buried St Giles, Cambridge
Algernon 1817 – Mar 1820 – buried St Giles, Cambridge
*Dr Williams’s Library is a small research library located in Gordon Square in Bloomsbury, London.