CFHS code : BE116
Parish : St Bene’t
Inscription : In Loving Memory of WILLIAM GORDON EDWARDS b Oct 13 1806 d June 18 1881 also of CAROLINE his widow b Dec 26 1807 d Oct 6 1884 also To the Memory of CAROLINE daughter of the above and widow of ROBERT STEGGALL d Jun 8 191 in her 78th year
Monument : Headstone (fallen)/Kerb stones
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.202684, 0.13626022 – click here for location
The headstone has fallen backwards and rests on the base of another monument. Most of the lettering is still intact.
In Loving Memory of WILLIAM GORDON EDWARDS Born Oct. 13. 1806. Died June 18. 1881.
“God is our hope and our strength.”
Also of CAROLINE his widow. Born Dec 26. 1807. Died Oct 6. 1884.
“Waiting for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.”
Also To the Memory of CAROLINE daughter of the above and widow
of ROBERT STEGGALL who died Jun 8 1911 in her 78th year.
The final epitaph is illegible
William Gordon Edwards (13 October 1806 – 18 June 1881)
William was the son of William and Elizabeth (née Gordon) and was born in Norwich. He was baptised on 21 October 1806 at the Old Meeting House in Norwich and married Caroline Dale on 1 November 1831 at St. Michael’s Church, Cambridge. They had one daughter: Caroline (1833-1911) and lived on Regent Street. William worked as a college butler and died at 31 Regent Street.
Caroline Edwards (née Dale) (26 December 1807 – 6 October 1884)
Caroline was born in Barton, just outside Cambridge and died at Regent Street three years after her husband.
Caroline Steggall (née Edwards) 1833 – 8 June 1911)
Caroline was baptised at St. Michael’s Church on 29 September 1833 and was the only child of William and Caroline. She married Robert Steggall (1830-1890 ) on 22 December 1858 at St. Benedict’s Church. Robert was a saddler and the couple lived at St. Petersburg Place in Bayswater, London. They had at least three children: Robert (1859-1867), William Gordon Edwards (1861-1861) and Caroline Lilian (1863-). Both of their sons died as infants and were buried at All Souls Cemetery in Kensal Green.
Robert and Caroline retired to live at The Croft in Southover, Lewes. Robert died in Lewes in September 1890 and Caroline continued to live at the house until her death in June 1911. In April 1911 she was living with a cook, parlourmaid and nurse.
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com