CFHS code : ML18
Parish : St Mary the Less
Inscription : EDWARD FAWCETT d Aug 6 1858 aged 47 ELIZABETH wife ROWLAND MORRIS FAWCETT d May 24 1871 aged 72 ROWLAND MORRIS FAWCETT MD b Aug 28 1803 d April 1890
Monument : Stone cross/ Kerb stones/Ground slab
Lat Lon : 52.202756, 0.13774179 – click here for location
There are relations of this family buried in the parish of Andrew the Great (William Milner Fawcett)
A dear brother
EDWARD FAWCETT died August 6 1858. aged 47.
ELIZABETH the beloved wife of ROWLAND MORRIS FAWCETT died May 24. 1871, aged 72.
“Not lost but gone before.”
ROWLAND MORRIS FAWCETT M.D. Born August 28. 1803. Died April 1890.
Relationships – Edward was the brother of Rowland Fawcett.
Edward Fawcett (1810 – 6 August 1858)
Edward was the youngest of the seven children born to Rev. John Fawcett and his wife Eleanor. He was born in Carlisle and baptised there on 30 November 1810. He went to Queen’s College, Oxford and then became a barrister. In 1835 he was living at 3 Essex Court, Middle Temple, and by 1855 at 5 Pump Court, Inner Temple. He died in Putney, at the home of his friend George Macilwain.
Elizabeth Fawcett (née Haycock*) (1798 – 24 May 1871)
(Her surname was also spelt Heycock*)
Elizabeth was the daughter of John and Susannah Haycock and was born in Owston and Newbold – a location about 5 miles west of Oakham in what is now Rutland. She was baptised there on 17 June 1798 and married Rowland Fawcett in the village on 28 November 1828 when she was 30 years old. Rowland was a medical doctor and surgeon and the couple lived at 28 Newnham (1841) and later at 3 Scroope Terrace (at least 1865), Trumpington Street. Elizabeth and Rowland did not have any children. She died in 1871, and the details of her will were printed in the Cambridge Independent Press in June. She left an estate worth under £10,000 with her nephew Rev. Thomas Ayscough Smith as the executor.
Rowland Morris Fawcett (28 August 1803- 22 April 1890)
Rowland was the son of Rev. John Fawcett and his wife Eleanor. He was born in Carlisle and baptised on 29 September 1803. He qualified as a doctor in Edinburgh in 1825, as a licentiate of the royal college of surgeons in 1824. He married Elizabeth Heycock when he was 25 years old.
He settled in Cambridge and practiced as a doctor/surgeon at 59 Trumpington Street in a practice called ‘Fawcett and Hough’. He was said to have run the largest practice in the town.
He played a prominent role in town affairs throughout his life. In July 1837 he spoke at a town meeting to mark Queen Victoria’s accession to the throne. Rowland seconded the address ‘observing that as Her Majesty was English by birth and education – as she had been watched over by a most devoted and affectionate mother – and her education superintended by one of England’s proudest daughters he was sure they would long have reason to respond with one heart and voice “God Save the Queen” and may she long live to reign over a loyal, prosperous, happy and devoted people’. He served as Deputy Mayor from 1841-1842. In November 1843 he was unanimously voted Mayor of Cambridge and held the office from 1843-1844. He had declined the position previously but took it ‘out of an imperative feeling of duty’. At his acceptance speech he asked ‘if he should fall short he begged to throw himself on the kind indulgence of the Council: at the same time he called on all to support him in the consistent and upright discharge of his duties which he should endeavour to fulfil without reference to any party whatever’. He was a prominent member of the Conservative party, and served as Deputy Lieutenant of Cambridgeshire.
In February 1862 at a town meeting he proposed the motion to commemorate the death of Prince Albert and was part of a committee to raise funds for the Royal Albert Benevolent Committee which had been founded in 1842. Both Rowland and Elizabeth donated £10 to the fund. It was also said that it was chiefly owing to his exertions that the large assembly room at the Guildhall was built’
Rowland was a member of the Cambridge Improvement Board and was a magistrate and Justice of the Peace from at least 1848 onwards. He was President of the ‘Savings Bank for the town and county of Cambridge’ in 1877 and a governor of the Perse Schools from at least 1887 onwards. He also served as secretary of the Mill Road Cemetery Company.
He died at home after a short illness at Scroope Terrace aged 86 years. He was heavily involved in local philanthropy and the Cambridge Independent Press reported after his death ‘The various charitable institutions of the town will lose by his death a generous friend for his name has been identified with all the philanthropic and educational movements in the town of Cambridge during the last half century’.
He left an estate valued at £29,171 6s (c.£2.8m at today’s values). His nephew William Milner Fawcett was one of the executors.
Cambridge City Council – Cambridge Mayors – past and present
by Claire Martinsen and Mary Naylor
[If you have any information about this family , please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]