CFHS code : HT331
Parish : Holy Trinity
Inscription : In Loving Memory of HERBERT FEW d 6th August 1921 aged 65 his widow MARTHA d 28th May 1929 aged 70 also their son-in-law OSBORNE JAMES STIBBON d 10th October 1920 aged 41
Monument : Kerb stones
Above information amende from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Herbert Few (1856 – 6 August 1921)
Herbert was the son of George and Ann Few, and was born and raised in Willingham where his father farmed 54 acres. He married Martha Clear on 28 September 1880 at the Zion Chapel, Cambridge and they had six children: Edith Beatrice (1881-1960), Gertrude (Gertie) May (1884-1918), Arthur Leslie (1886-1949), Minnie Florence (1888-1970), Ida (1892-1987) and Bertram Sidney (1895-1962). Herbert worked as a clerk and corn merchant and they lived in Willingham until at least 1895 before then moving to live at Balham Lodge, Tenison Road (1901) and 65 Hills Road (1911 onwards).
Herbert ran a company called Few and Peake, in partnership with a Mr. J.W. Peake but this went into receivership in 1908. He continued to work in the corn industry and in 1918 was working for Gregory and Hampson of King’s Lynn. There were frequent disputes between the growers of the barley and the merchants who sold it on, regarding the quality of the product versus the samples sent. Prices were agreed on the sample quality, and the disputes arose when there was deemed to be a lower quality on the bulk supplied. Sometimes Herbert appeared as an expert witness at court.
Hen died at Hills Road and his funeral took place on 9 August 1921.
Martha Few (née Clear) (1858 – 28 May 1929)
Martha was born in Toft, and grew up there with her parents John and Eliza Ann (née Morris) (1861). John Clear was a farmer of 20 acres who died in 1865 and his widow then went to run the general shop in Willingham with her four children. Martha died at Avondale House, Waterbeach aged 70 years old and was buried at Mill Road Cemetery on 1 June 1929.
Martha and Herberts daughter Gertie emigrated to Australia in 1915 to marry Frederick Benstead, who was also from Cambridge. She died in New South Wales in May 1918.
Osborne James (Jim) Stibbon (1879 – 10 October 1920)
Jim was the only child of Harry and Elizabeth (née Clark) and was born in Gorleston, Lincolnshire and baptised in Norfolk on 8 June 1879. Harry Stibbon (1848-1894) was a publican and later a horse trainer/huntsman and Elizabeth (1852-1898) was a school mistress and in 1881 the family were living at the School House in Hillington, near King’s Lynn,Norfolk. By 1891 they had moved to the School House in Sawston, where Elizabeth ran the village school.
Jim ran a tabacconist on Regent Street and was also a talented cricketer. His name appeared in local newspapers in relation to the many games that he played for various Cambridge clubs. In 1911 he was lodging with the Few family at Hills Road, and their daughter Minnie was documented as being a tabacconist assistant. He married Minnie on 16 January 1917 at St. Paul’s Church and they went to live at 21 Glisson Road.
In January 1918 he applied for exemption for call up to the Army, stating he was a tabaccconist and dealer in corn offals and on the grounds of ‘he was very fortunate in possessing a very able wife and she could carry on three of his markets’. The exemption was refused and he was called up in February 1918. From his enlistment papers it is known he was 5ft 9.75 inches tall, but he was discharged in June 1918 as being no longer physically fit for War service.
Jim was ill for the last year of his life and died at 21 Glisson Road. The Cambridge Daily News wrote an obituary which read he ‘was well known in East Anglian sporting circles. He was the proprietor of a tabaccconist’s shop situated near the gates of Downing college and ran a flourishing business. In racing and coursing circles he was regarded as something very near an authority, and took more over a keen interest in pigeon shooting, cricket and football. He was a member of the Isle of Ely and other coursing clubs…Mr Stibbon also played cricket for the county some ten or twelve years ago and was a member of the Rodney, the Camden and several other clubs. He was an enthusiastic member of the Town Football Club, and the Marlborough Club at Newmarket also claimed him as a member…one who knew Mr Stibbon intimately summed him up as a ‘thorough good sportsman and a man all through’.
His funeral was held on 14 October at Mill Road Cemetery and a large number of mourners were said to be present, including many from the cricket community. Minnie’s wreath read ‘to my darling husband, from his broken-hearted wife, ‘sweet is the sunshine after the rain, sweet is the sleep which follows pain”.
Minnie Stibbon married for a second time in 1922 to Harold Henry David Powell (1893-1977). She died in Cambridge aged 81 years old.
Parish burial records transcribed by CFHS
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]