CFHS code : HT401
Parish : Holy Trinity
Inscription : In Loving Memory of WILLIAM EDWARD FISHER d Aug 8th 1895 aged 33 also of FRANCIS FISHER d Sept 9th 1892 aged 5 months
Monument : Stone cross (broken)
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
This broken cross is located four rows east of the central path and four monuments north of the south path. It was restored in 2016 but broken again in 2019. The inscription of metal letters is in reasonably good order with only a few letters missing.
In Loving Memory of WILLIAM EDWARD FISHER who died Aug 8th 1895 aged 33 years
Also of FRANCIS FISHER d Sept 9th 1892 aged 5 months
William Edward Fisher (1861 – 8 August 1895)
William was born in Cambridge and was the son of Mary and Jeremiah Fisher. Jeremiah was a hawker and William grew up at 2 Burleigh Place (1871). In 1881 he was living at 26 King Street, and working as a journeyman confectioner for Louie Brigatti an Italian confectioner. He married Frances Mary Burbage on May 26th 1884 at Holy Trinity church when she was 23 years old. Frances was always known by her middle name of Mary.
Mary and William had at least four children: Ernest William (1885-), Harry John (1889-1951), Frances Elizabeth (1892-1892) and Sidney George (1894-). They lived at 36 or 38 King Street, and by the time Sidney was baptised in 1895 William described as a shopkeeper presumably a confectionery shop. He died at home aged 33 years old.
In the 1901 census Mary was running the running the confectionary shop. In 1904 a gang of boys stole a jar of toffee from her shop but a quick witted neighbour saw them, they were arrested and whipped.
A Frances Mary Fisher died at Fulborn hospital in 1915 and is buried in this parish.
Frances Fisher (9 April 1892 – 9 September 1892)
Frances was the third child born to Mary and William Fisher. She died aged 5 months old.
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]