CFHS code : AL33

Parish : St Andrew the Less

Inscription : In Loving Memory of ELIZABETH MARY FRANCIS died Jan 25 1897 aged 42

Monument : Kerb stones

Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey

Francis kerb stones December 2019

Monument  

In the north of the cemetery, four rows from the east wall and three rows from the north wall. The kerb stone to the north has fallen and broken.

Inscription 

north kerb

In Loving Memory of ELIZABETH MARY FRANCIS died Jan 25th 1897 aged 42 years.

south kerb 

illegible but presumed to be for William Francis

Elizabeth Mary Francis (née North) (1854 -1897) 

Elizabeth was born in Cambridge but seems to have been brought up by her grandparents in Royston as she was there in 1861 and 18 71. Nothing much is known of her parents (possibly James and Elizabeth née Langham) and no baptism has been found. Her birth was registered in the June quarter of 1854.

Elizabeth married labourer William Francis on June 27th 1879 in the parish of St Andrew the Less. They lived on Newmarket Road where they raised three children: William Thomas (1881), Elizabeth May (1883) and Thomas North (1884). All the children were baptised on the same day – May 9th 1886 when the family were living in Abbey Street – which ran beside Newmarket Road. 

She was living at 142 Newmarket Road when she died.

William Francis ( 1858 – 1931)

William was born in Thaxted Essex. He was described as a labourer when he married Elizabeth North but by the 1891 census was a gas stoker. He may have been working at the gas works that was once located between the river and Newmarket Road.

[If you have any information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]

Researched by Mary Naylor

Sources
FreeBMD
CFHS Transcripts of parish & census records

Elizabeth Mary Francis