CFHS code : PL349
Parish : St Paul
Inscription : CHARLES FRANKLIN b Mar 5 1810 d Jun 3 1888 ELIZABETH FRANKLIN b Feb 24 1805 d Oct 30 1894 SAMUEL RICHARD CHARLES TAYLOR youngest son of SAMUEL and LOUISA TAYLOR and grandson of ELIZABETH FRANKLIN and RICHARD BOYTON b Jan 11 1881 d Jan 6 1964
Monument : Coped stone
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
This monument is in good order. It is about ten monuments north of the south path and one row west of the central path.
CHARLES FRANKLIN born March 5 1810 died June 3 1888
ELIZABETH FRANKLIN born Feb 24 1805 died Oct 30 1894
SAMUEL RICHARD CHARLES TAYLOR
youngest son of SAMUEL and LOUISA TAYLOR
and grandson of ELIZABETH FRANKLIN and RICHARD BOYTON
b Jan 11 1881 d Jan 6 1964
Charles Franklin (1810-1888)
Charles was born in the village of Wimbish just outside Saffron Walden, Essex and was a farmer. He married widow Elizabeth Taylor on 2 November 1844 at St. Christopher’s Church in Wilingale Doe, Essex and they lived with her two sons at Torrell’s Hall where he farmed 400 acres (1851). By 1861 they had moved to Houghton Hall in Cavendish where he farmed 670 acres and employed 30 people. The lease of Houghton Hall expired at Christmas 1869 and Charles and Elizabeth retired to live at 2 Eastern Terrace, 84 Hills Road. He died at home aged 78 years old and left an estate valued at £3.2m (2019 values).
Elizabeth Franklin (née Mumford) (1805-1894)
Elizabeth was born in Stansted, Essex and baptised at the Old Meeting House in Mountfitchet on 5 March 1805. She married Joseph Taylor (1807-1838) at St. Mary the Virgin and St. John the Evangelist Church in Stansted Mountfitchet on 24 October 1832 and they had two sons: Joseph (1833-1862) and Samuel (Sam)(1836-1925). The boys were born in Little Hallingbury, Essex and Jospeh died in Willingale Doe in July 1838 aged 31 years old. Elizabeth married for a second time to Charles Franklin and after his death continued to live at Hills Road with housekeeper Mary Smith and general servant Hannah Peachey (1891). She died at home aged 89 years old.
Samuel Richard Charles Taylor (1881-1964)
Samuel was Elizabeth’s grandson and youngest son of Sam and Louisa (née Boyton)Taylor. He was born at Hall Farm in Hundon, just outside Clare, Suffolk where his father farmed 1,300 acres and employed 54 people (1881). Samuel attended Henry Pearson’s boarding school in Wickhambrook, Suffolk and then returned to live with his parents at Ashley Hall, Ashley-cum-Silverley, where his father had moved to farm (1901). By 1913 he moved with his father and mother to live at Rutland Cottage, Cheveley, Newmarket and his elder brother Harry Douglas Taylor (1861-1935) took over the farm at Ashley Hall. Sam Taylor was said to have been ‘one of the largest, most enterprising and most successful farmers in East Anglia’.
Sam Taylor died in 1925 and Louisa in 1933, and in 1939 Samuel was living at Boyton Lodge, Cheveley. On all census records he is marked as having no occupation and of being of independent means. He died at Boyton Lodge aged 82 years old and was buried with his grandmother in Cambridge, rather than his parents in Cheveley.
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]