CFHS code : HT72
Parish : Holy Trinity
Inscription : In Loving Memory of MARY JANE FRENCH the beloved and devoted wife of GEORGE HENRY FRENCH d June 14th 1924 aged 66
Monument : Stone cross (broken)/Kerb stones
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Mary Jane French (née Cockerton) (1858 – 14 June 1924)
Mary was born in Stretham near Ely and was the daughter of Joseph and Jane. Her father was a bricklayer and grocer and she grew up at 2 Short Street, Stretham. She married George French in 1882 and they had three children: Thomas Pratt (known as Tom) (1884-1964), Francis Joseph (1885-1931) and Hilda Mary (1892-1976). George was a corn merchant and the family lived at 173 East Road (1891/1901) and then 33 Mill Road (1911). In 1911 George was described as a hay, corn and straw dealer and was employing 19 people in his business. Mary died at 46 Devonshire Road and her funeral took place on 18 June.
From parish burial records it is known that George French was also buried in the Holy Trinity area of Mill Road Cemetery. It is thought he was buried in the same grave.
George Henry French (24 March 1857 – November 1949)
George was the fifth son of William and Rebecca (née Wells) French and grew up at the Windmill in Chesterton where his father was a miller. George worked as a miller before his marriage to Mary, and later as a corn merchant. He ran a business called G.H. French and Sons, corn dealers, and worked with both his sons. After Mary’s death he lived with his youngest sister Rebecca Wells French at 89 Alpha Road and died there aged 92 years old. He was buried at Mill Road Cemetery on 16 November 1949.
Parish burial records transcribed by CFHS
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]