CFHS code : ML49
Parish : St Mary the Less
Inscription : side 1 also ELEANOR his wife b Oct 24 1842 d April 13 1913 side 2 In Memory of WILLIAM GADSBY d —- 23 188 remainder illegible
Monument : Stone cross/Kerb stones (broken)
Above information amended from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.202815, 0.13796414 – click here for location
Eleanor Gadsby (née Kay) (24 October 1842 – 13 April 1913)
Eleanor was born in Upwell, a village six miles south east of Wisbech and was baptised there on 13 November 1842. She was the daughter of butcher/farmer John and Mary Ann (née Overland) and aged 18 was living at home and working as a dressmaker. She married Wiliam Gadsby in 1867 and they had seven children: John (1868-1939), Eleanor (1869-1939), George (1872-1916), Susannah (1875-1944), William (1877-1946), Mary Ann (1879-) and one more child who died as an infant. William worked as a coachman and the family lived at 23 Norwich Street (1871) before moving to 38 Trumpington Street where Eleanor ran a confectioners/coffee shop, and William continued to work as a coachman. She was widowed in 1882 and then ran a lodging hose from 44 Trumpington Street (1901/1911). In 1911 she was living with her three adult daughters, who were assisting in the business and died at home aged 70.
William Gadsby (1843 – 1882)
William was born in Fen Drayton and was the son of agricultural labourer William and Letitia (née Walker). He was baptised on 3 December 1843 and aged 17 was working as an under-gardener, before later become a coachman. He died aged 38 years old.
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about this family please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]