CFHS code : HS25
Parish : Holy Sepulchre
Inscription : In Affectionate Memory of WILLIAM JOHN GALLYON d June 11 1878 age 48 also CAROLINE MARTHA GALLYON youngest daughter of the above d Sept 22 1888 age 21 also MARY ANN widow of WILLIAM JOHN GALLYON b Dec 6 1831 d March 3 1909 kerbs MARY ANN LEADER eldest daughter of WILLIAM JOHN and MARY ANN GALLYON b Nov 9th 1857 d Feb 10th 1948
Monument : Headstone/Kerb stones (double grave)
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Monument Hidden under an ivy bush in the centre of the parish, roughly 7 rows from the central path.
In Affectionate Memory of WILLIAM JOHN GALLYON d June 11 1878 age 48 years
Also CAROLINE MARTHA GALLYON youngest daughter of the above
Who departed this life Sept 22 1888 age 21
Also MARY ANN widow of WILLIAM JOHN GALLYON b Dec 6 1831 d March 3 1909
kerbs MARY ANN LEADER eldest daughter of WILLIAM JOHN and MARY ANN GALLYON
b Nov 9th 1857 d Feb 10th 1948
William John Gallyon (8 August 1829 – 11 June 1878)
William was the son of William and Mary Gallyon. He was baptised at Downing Street Non-conformist Church on 8 November 1829. His father was a gun maker, and William grew up on Green Street. He married Mary Ann Larkins at St Michael’s Church on 7 November 1850 when he was 21 years old. They had at least eight children: William John (1851-1919), Charles Henry Isaac (1855-1857), Mary Ann (1857-1948), Charles (1860-), Elizabeth Ellen (1862-1885), Sidney Herbert (1865-1866), Caroline Martha (1867-1888) and Theophilus Percy (1872-1930).
The marriage certainly appears to have been fiery, and in October 1862 the pair appeared in front of the Cambridge Police Court. Mary Ann had charged William with threatening her. She later withdrew the charges. William had been drunk through ‘inordinate’ drinking. He promised to sign the ‘pledge’ if he were released, and the charge was dismissed on condition that William changed his behaviour. At the court session Mr Keed, the Baptist Minister made it known that he ‘hoped that Gallyon might be, for the future, kept from drink and that, as a consequence he would be a better man’.
William worked as a gunsmith like his father and ran the store at 13 Green Street, before moving to 66 Bridge Street, located across from the Round Church. The business went into bankruptcy in 1863, but William managed to keep running the business and offered dividends to his creditors. William frequently took out advertisements in the local press advertising services such as ‘breech and muzzle loading guns, rifles and revolvers of every description…power, wadding, shot, caps, cartridges, flasks, pouches, dog slips, whips and every article for the sportsman’s service at the lowest prices’.
In later years William appears to have become an upright citizen of the town and was on the Cambridge Board of Guardians representing Holy Sepulchre parish. He died suddenly at Bridge Street. The Cambridge Chronicle and Journal reported ‘The deceased was an energetic and useful member of the Conservative party in Cambridge; and he was a Guardian of the Poor in more senses than official’. He was 48 years old. The gun business was taken over by his widow and son William John (Jnr). Advertisements placed in August 1878 read: M.A Gallyon & Son, gun makers…beg respectively to inform the nobility of the town and neighbourhood and Sportsmen generally that the above business for so many years carried on by the late Mr W.J. Gallyon will be continued as usual. Mrs Gallyon and her son take this opportunity of thanking the public for the favours conferred upon the late Mr Gallyon and hope with strict attention to the proper execution of all orders entrusted to them to merit a share of that support which in past years has been so liberally bestowed’.
Caroline Martha Gallyon (1867 – 22 September 1888)
Caroline was known as Pattie, and died at the family home in Bridge Street aged 21 years old.
Mary Ann Gallyon (née Larkins) (6 December 1831 – 3 March 1909)
Mary was the daughter of labourer Henry Larkins and his wife Ellen. She grew up on Park Street and married William Gallyon when she was 18 years old.
She continued to run the gun business with her sons William and Theophilus. She and Theophilus lived together, and by 1900 had diversified the business to also sell cycles and cycle accessories. She died at Bridge Street aged 77 years old,
Mary Ann Leader (née Gallyon) (1857-1948)
Mary Ann was the eldest daughter of William and Mary Gallyon. She grew up at 66 Bridge Street and married William John Leader (1863 – 1913) in 1885. William was also from Cambridge, where his father Jabes Leader was a tailor. Mary Ann and William had nine children: Mary Ann (1886-1948), Emma Elizabeth (1887-1905), William John (1888-1920), Caroline Martha (1888-1983), Lilian Margaret (1891-1981), Percy Edward (1896-1978), Dorothy (1899-1899), Dorothy May (1900-) and Constance Louie (1903-1997).
The couple lived in Leighton Buzzard where William was a jeweller, watch and clock merchant. William died in 1913 in Leighton Buzzard aged 50 years old. It is not known what then happened to Mary Ann, but by 1939 she was 82 years old and living with her daughter Caroline and son in law Bert Warrington at 5 The Dole, Impington. She died there aged 90 years old and was buried with her parents at Mill Road Cemetery.
by Claire Martinsen with additional information by Mary Naylor
[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]