CFHS code : AL57

Parish : St Andrew the Less

Inscription : In Memory of SARAH GAULT d Nov 26 1894 aged 64 also of CHARLES GAULT husband of the above d Sep 29 1909 aged 77 also of LOUISA GAULT d March 29 1905 aged 47 also of DAVID SMITH d Oct 8 1881 aged 86 also of his wife ALICE SMITH d Feb 4 1883 aged 82

Monument : Headstone

Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey

Lat Lon : 52.20409, 0.13755704

Gault and Smith grave
Gault and Smith headstone



Relationship: Mother, father, daughter, son-in-law

Sarah Gault (née Smith) (1830 – 26 November 1894)

Sarah was the daughter of David and Alice and married Charles Gault on 30 June 1857 at Christ Church. The couple lived at 4 South Street (1871) , 46 Gwydir Street (1881) and then 9 York Street (at least 1888 onwards).  They had at least four daughters:  Louisa (1858-1905), Sarah A (1860-1953), Adelaide (1862-1929) and Alice Helena (1865-1925). Sarah died at York Street aged 64 years old.

Charles Gault (c.1837 – 29 September 1909)

Charles was born in West Wickham and was the son of William and Sarah Ann (née Purkiss).  He joined the police force  c.1857 and served as a police constable.

In November 1865 Charles charged Joshua Redhead with being drunk in Jesus Lane and the case came in front of the Magistrate’s court.  Charles claimed that he had asked Joshua to move on several times but he had refused and then ‘put his legs round the constable and they both fell on the road and the officer’s face was severely cut’.  Joshua and witness Daniel Mordecai claimed that Charles himself was drunk and had seen ‘the constable get up and immediately afterwards fall down again and cut his face on the kerb-stone’. The Bench decided that Charles had not been drunk and sentenced Joshua Redhead to six weeks imprisonment with hard labour and commented that ‘Mr Mordecai ought to be more carefuly in future in bringing such serious charges against policemen’.

In July 1866 John Carpenter was charged with violently assaulting Charles and when the case came to court the room was ‘densely crowded’ such was the interest. It had had to be delayed on two occassion due to Charles being medically unfit to attend court. John had been drinking in the Wagon and Horses on East Road and had been requested to leave by the landlord.  Charles Gault was on duty in East Road and asked John to move on, which he refused to do and tried to enter the Wagon and Horses again. Charles had then taken the man to the police station in order to charge him. John had initially gone with him willingly but in Eden Street had attacked Charles ‘he knocked my hat off, took hold of the hair of my head and with the other hand by my coat collar. He knocked the back part of my head several times against the brick wall. We were scuffing together for about five minutes’. He eventually handcuffed John Carpenter and walked him down Melbourn Place but even with handcuffs John was said to have threatened to kill the policeman and kicked him in the back. John Carpenter admitted being drunk and said ‘he had no intention of doing injury…and if he had been sober he should  not have done it’ – he was sentenced to six months imprisonment.

In March 1872 Charles was reported ‘to be incapacitated from again following his duty’.  The Watch Committee propoosted that he be superannuated, at the rate of 7s per week which was approved by the council.

In December 1874 Charles Gault appeared in court to testify in the case of Joseph Barrance of Waterbeach.  The man was charged with ‘stealing a brown beaver overcoat, value 38s, the property of George Hugh Fountain, clothier, Petty-cury on the 28th of November’.  The shop manager had noticed the coat was missing and had followed Joseph and then alerted the police.  Charles questioned the man who said he had bought it from the shop, and then that he had bought it from a ‘young man in the street’.  Joseph Barrance pleaded guilty and the Vicar of Waterbeach testified that it was out of character, but he was sentenced to six weeks imprisonment with hard labour.

By 1881 Charles had left the police force and was working as a ‘railway servant’ and in 1891 was documented as being a ‘general dealer’.  In 1901 he was widowed and was living at York Street with daughter Louisa and was working as a greengrocer.

Louisa Gault (1858 – 29 March 1905)

Louisa was the eldest daughter of Charles and Sarah and worked as a dressmaker. She lived at home with her parents and died aged 47 years old.

David Smith (c.1795 – 8 October 1881)

David was born in Laxfield, Suffolk and married Alice Spalding on 22 June 1826 at St. Andrew’s Church, Cambridge.  The couple had at least six children: Eliza (1827-), Sarah, Javis (1831-1852), Rebecca (1832-), Jonas (1838-) and Rachael (1843-) and in 1841 were living in Norfolk Street where David was a ‘potman’.  The family later moved to  45 Adam and Eve Street where they ran a general store(1851/1861). By 1871 they had moved to 28 Brandon Place and David was documented as being a retired surveyor.  David and Alice then went to live with their daughter Sarah and son in law Charles Gault at 46 Gwydir Street (1881) and died age 85 years old.

Alice Smith (née Spalding)  (c.1801 – 4 February 1883)

Alice was born in Little Swaffham and died in Cambridge aged 82 years old.



Newspaper archives

by Claire Martinsen

[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at]

Charles Gault; Louisa Gault; Sarah Gault; Alice Smith; David Smith