CFHS code : HT541
Parish : Holy Trinity
Inscription : In Loving Memory of WILLIAM GAYLOR d June 2 180 aged 56 also ANN GAYLOR wife of the above d Sept 24 1900 aged 72
Monument : Headstone
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
William Gaylor (1834 – June 1890)
William was the son of William and Sarah (née Campkins) and was baptised at St. Clement’s Church on 22 June 1834. He grew up at Blackmoor Head Yard, off Bridge Street and his father was a fly man (carriage driver) (1841) . His parents later ran the Paul Pry public house in Portugal Place. William Gaylor (Snr) died in 1849 and in 1851 William was working as a boot closer and living at the Paul Pry with his widowed mother and younger brother Alfred. In 1854 took over the license of the Tally Ho pub in Blackamoor Head Yard, which he ran with his mother whilst also working as a boot closer. William married Ann Clarke in 1859 and they had at least three children: Alfred (1860-1930), Emma (1865-1947) and Ernest (1868-1936). He continued to work as a boot closer and they lived at 45 Gloucester Street (1861) and then 81 King Street (at least 1871 onwards). William died at King Street and was buried at Mill Road Cemetery on 3 July.
Ann Gaylor (née Clarke) (1838 – 24 September 1900)
Ann was born in Cambridge, but little is known of her early life. She worked as a launderess whilst raising her children and in 1891 was living at 81 King Street with youngest son Ernest and documented as being a caretaker of schools. She died at Saxon Road aged 72 years old.
Parish burial records transcribed by CFHS
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about this family please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]