CFHS code : ED19
Parish : St Edward
Inscription : In Loving Memory of ELSIE daughter of JOHN & REBECCA GEORGE d May 2 1916 also of FANNY REBECCA GEORGE d July 6 1936 slab In Loving Memory of ELLEN & ELIZA GEORGE
Monument : Ground slab/Kerb stones (broken)
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.203287, 0.13671357 – click here for location
This pile of fallen and broken stone elements, apparently a cross with groundslab and kerb stones, in the St Edward parish area, is located four rows west of the central path, 20 yards north of the centre circle.
(This record has been added to the Monuments under Review list as it is visible from the central path and needs to be reassembled.)
[based partly on CFHS transcript]
In loving memory of Elsie
daughter of John & Rebecca George
died May 2 1916
Also Fanny Rebecca George
died July 6 1936
In loving memory of Ellen & Eliza George
Elsie Overland George and Fanny Rebecca George, both of Cambridge, were sisters (though born 20 years apart). Their relationship to Ellen and Eliza George ‒ both of Thetford ‒ is unclear.
Elsie Overland George (c.1881‒1916)
Elsie was born in about 1881 in Bassingbourne, Cambridgeshire, the daughter of John O George, linen draper, and his wife Rebecca. By the age of 20 she was a school teacher, and was living with her parents and siblings Fanny Rebecca (see below), Ethel P (c.1870‒), Agnes M (c.1876‒) and niece Dorice A King (c.1890‒) at ‛Percy House’, Beche Road (Abbey ward), Cambridge. On the day the 1911 census was taken, Elsie and Fanny were boarding at ‛Lonsdale’, 4 Cortlands Road, Bournemouth.
Elsie died on 2 May 1916, at the age of 35, and was buried on the 6th of that month in Mill Road Cemetery, in row XXX of the St Edward’s parish area, grave 4, at a depth of 9 feet. Her address at the time of death was 66 Beche Road (Abbey ward), Cambridge.
Fanny Rebecca George (c.1862‒1936)
Fanny was born c.1862 in the village of Great Cressingham, near Hillborough, Norfolk, daughter of John O George, linen draper, and his wife Rebecca. By 1871, when the family was living on Mangate Street, Soham Toney, near Swaffham, Norfolk, she had five siblings: Ernest O (c.1863‒), Edwin R (c.1864‒), Anna P (c.1869‒), Ethel P (c.1870‒), and Ellen M (1871‒). In 1891 she was resident at the Prince of Wales Hotel, 21 Sidney Street, Cambridge. She is listed there as a ‛relative’ of the proprietors, Charles and Sarah Barbor, and her brother Ernest O George as the resident ‛cook’. in 1901 she was living with her parents at ‛Percy House’, Beche Road (Abbey ward), Cambridge. Census reports do not list an occupation for her in any years.
Fanny died on 6 July 1936, unmarried, at the age of 74, and was buried on the 9th of that month in Mill Road Cemetery, in row XXX of the St Edward’s parish area, grave 4, at a depth of 7 feet. Her address at the time of death was 5 Mackenzie Road (Petersfield), Cambridge.
Ellen George (c.1857‒1927)
Ellen’s birth, childhood, and relationship to Elsie and Fanny are unclear. Her death date is not included in the inscription, but must have been in the first week of May 1927 because she was buried on the 7th of that month, aged 70, in Mill Road Cemetery, in row XXX of the St Edward’s parish area, in grave 5, at a depth of 8 feet. At the time of death, she was resident in Thetford (34 miles northeast of Cambridge).
Eliza George (c.1854‒1927)
Eliza’s birth, childhood, and relationship to Elsie and Fanny are unclear. Her death date is not included in the legible inscription, but must have been in mid-September 1927 because she was buried on the 15th of that month, aged 73, although no details of her burial are given in the parish grave book. At the time of death, she was resident at 28 Castle Street, Thetford (34 miles northeast of Cambridge).
[If you have any information about these four persons, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]
England census returns 1871 to 1901
England & Wales census 1911
Church of St Edward, Cambridge, burial register and grave book
By Ian Bent