CFHS code : HT363
Parish : Holy Trinity
Inscription : In Loving Memory of GEORGE GILKES d Oct 19 1926 aged 73
Monument : Headstone/Kerb stones
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
George Gilkes (1853 – 19 October 1926)
George was born in Barford near Banbury, Oxfordshire and was baptised at St. Michael’s Church, Barford on 9 June 1854. He was the son of shoemaker John and Ann and grew up in Shutford West (1861) and Hook Norton (1871). In 1871 George was working with his father as a boot and shoe maker. He married Elizabeth Sarah Jones (1855-1884) on 24 October 1876 at the Wesleyan Chapel in Brackley and they had four children: Mary Elizabeth (1877-1884), George Harry (1879-1955), Catherine Ann (Kate) (1880-1959) and Bertha (1883-1948).
He was widowed in 1884 and then moved to Cambridge where he married Alice Biggs (1835-1914) in 1889. He worked as stonemason and the couple lived at Norwich Street with his daughters from his first marriage (1891 onwards). He placed many adverts in local newspapers advertising his business. George was a prominent member of the Cambridge Band of Hope Union (a Temperance movement) and worshipped at the Hobson Street Wesleyan Chapel. He also lead the Band of Hope Union at the Hills Road Wesleyan Sunday School. He died at 56 Norwich Street aged 73 years old and was buried at Mill Road Cemetery on 22 October.
From parish burial records it is known that Alice Gilkes was also buried in the Holy Trinity area of Mill Road Cemetery and is thought to have been buried in the same grave.
Alice Gilkes (née Biggs) (22 February 1835 – January 1914)
Alice was born in Histon and baptised in Impington on 27 September 1835. She was the daughter of William and Elizabeth and her father worked as a labourer. Alice worked as servant at Church End, Histon (1851), as a nursemaid at 5 Scrope Terrace (1861) and then as a general servant at the The Observatory, Madingley Road (1871/1881). She married George Gilkes when she was c.54 years old and died at Norwich Street. Her funeral took place on 6 January 1914.
Parish burial records transcribed by CFHS
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]