CFHS code : BE7
Parish : St Bene’t
Inscription : In Affectionate Remembrance of THOMAS GREEN MD d January 8th 1874 aged 72 The memory of the Just is Blessed also of ANNE GREEN his widow d Nov 1st 1878 aged 77
Monument : Headstone (fallen)
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Thomas Green (27 August 1801 – 8 January 1874)
Thomas was born in East Dereham, and was the son Samuel and Elizabeth (née Turner) . He worked as a doctor, and was admitted to the Royal College of Surgeons in 1830. He married Anne and practised from 22 Regent Street from at least 1838 onwards. He and Anne are not believed to have had any children.
In July 1842 he sued a University student for non-payment of a £12 bill. At the trial Thomas was described as ‘a surgeon of considerable practice in the town of Cambridge’ and he appeared often as a witness at police trials and inquests through his working life.
In February 1838 he was a witness in the trial against William Low and his wife. William kept the Shamrock beer shop in Barnwell and the pair were charged with violently assaulting Mrs Kennedy who was found covered with blood. Mrs Kennedy had been beaten and Thomas said he had been attending her ever since. The Lows were ordered to pay a £10 fine or go to prison for two months, and both went to prison as a result.
In September 1854 he testified at the inquest of servant William Dartnell. William had returned to his lodgings and complained of a cold so went to bed and took ‘two pills and some gruel’. At nine o’clock he was no better and his wife called to their landlady to say she thought he was dying. Thomas Green was called for William had died before he arrived. Thomas said at the inquest that the post mortem he had revealed a large quantity of fluid in the pericarium ‘and that the death was caused by obstruction to the heart’s action from this accumulation of fluid, accelarated by the flabby and feeble condition of the heart itself’. A verdict of ‘died by the visitation of God’ was recorded.
The numbering system of houses in Cambridge was an ongoing concern and in April 1860 it was discussed at a meeting of the Cambridge Improvement Commissioners. Mr. Fawcett asked the surveyor to ensure that the numbers were being assigned correctly and stated that there was one house in Regent Street which had three numbers and two houses in Jesus Lane which had the same number. Regent Street had recently been renumbered and Thomas Green’s number had been given to another Mr Green who was as a result ‘knocked up in the night and had some trouble to make people understand that he was not the Mr Green that was wanted’.
Thomas also owned various properties which he rented out. He sued one of his tenants ( Mr Piggott) for £2, 10s in unpaid rent in April 1855 and won the case at court. In March 1855 he advertised one of his other properties called ‘houses in the field’ for rent – the lot consisted of two houses, adapted for persons requiring rooms, a smaller house and land’. Another property was described as ‘three acres of garden ground, well planted and in a high state of cultivation with a convenient house etc, within a few minutes’ walk of the town’.
In August 1862 he gave a lecture to the St. Paul’s Working Men’s Reading Room on the subject of proverbs. The talk centred on Thomas’s belief that proverbs were good places to find ‘moral and religious truths’ and discussed proverbs including: ‘he whose head is made of wax must not walk in the sun’, ‘if you wish to know the value of money, try to borrow some’, ‘prayer should be the key of the day and the lock of the night’ and ‘industry is fortune’s right hand and frugality her left’. He had delivered a speech on the same subject to the Young Men’s Christian Association the previous year.
He died at 26 Regent Street ‘after a short illness’ aged 72 years old.
Anne Green (c.1801 – 1 November 1878)
Anne was born in Oundle but little is known of her early life. She died at 26 Regent Street aged 77 years.
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about this person, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]